How Do I Make Black Marshmallow Fondant?

Decorating By dreaknapp Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 12:21am by scrumpot

dreaknapp Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make my brother a Guitar Hero cake but am not sure how to make black marshmallow fondant. Can anyone help me? Thanks!!

9 replies
lngo Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 10

Make it chocolate fondant and then add black food coloring.

cylstrial Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 10

Yep! I'd start with chocolate and then add black as well. If you have Americolor - their superblack is awesome! You don't have to use as much as you would if you were using Wilton. The color is just much stronger. Plus it comes in a nice squeeze bottle.

imamommy1205 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 10

I make chocolate too and then kneaded in black wilton food coloring until I got the right color.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 10

My question is does it matter if you use name brand verses store brand? I tried making MMF once and it came out kinda rubbery... Do you think if i used name brand it would help avoid that?

MrsNancyB1 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 10

I have made 3 batches of MMF using Kraft Jet-Puffed MMs, and each time the fondant turned out beautifully. I think it depends who you ask...some people prefer store brand, others prefer name brands. For me, the Kraft brand worked best.

imamommy1205 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 10

I have used both and havent had a problem with either.

loucarp Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 10

I also use chocolate fondant first. Never tried Americolor but think i might.
I also like using the Kraft marshmallows. I recently found them in a vanilla
caramel flavor. I loved it...I didn't need to add any food color and used it
to make the teddies on my daughters baby shower cake and the scooby cake I just finished. (Both are posted here) The fondant smells and tastes like caramel candy and comes out a tannish brown color.

HipnotiqGlamour Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 10

Hmm sounds delicious think ill try it. I think i might also switch the brand of sugar and marshmallows im using and see if that makes a difference.

scrumpot Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:21am
post #10 of 10

I want to try to use fondant. However I feel I am not ready for it.
I have never heard of chocolate fondant before. What is it, and where would I get a recipe for it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%