shae-shae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shae-shae Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 5

how much should I charge for a 9" 2 layer basket weave cake with flowers

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

What is your price per serving? What serving chart do you use to determine serving size? Do you normally charge extra for basketweave (I don't). What kind of flowers .... BC? fondant? GUmpaste? how many .... a huge bouquet or just a small spray to cover the top? Do you charge extra for over a certain number of flowers? Is the cake or filling a premium flavor that you might charge extra for? Have you checked with your local competition to see what the price range is for your area?

This is not a quiz. icon_lol.gif But we really need to know a bit more than size of the cake to help you out. thumbs_up.gif

shae-shae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shae-shae Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:09am
post #3 of 5

im new to this so i really dont have all those answers as of yet i've only sold 2 other caked before?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

Here's the wilton wedding chart: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm This chart assumes a 1x2x4 serving size.

Here's Earline's chart: http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm I "think" this assumes a 1.5x2x4 serving size.

I recommend that you pick the one you're going to use consistently and stick with it. (hint: when you start doing wedding cakes, most places cut by the wilton chart, so if you charge by earline's chart, you're giving cake away.)

Some places charge extra for basketweave because they say it takes longer. I dont' charge extra for it because I find it less work (no smoothing to worry about! thumbs_up.gif ).

There is a great range of pricing. From $1.50 to $6.00 or more for buttercream.

Fondant and gumpaste flowers are more expensive to make simply because of the materials so it's not unusual to have an upcharge price for those.

Hope this helps.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%