My Chocolate City Melted!

Decorating By indydebi Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 11:08am by Deb_

indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 11

Had 3 weddings to deliver yesterday. Two were close to each other, so I put those two in the van and take off. The 2nd drop off was a re-make of my City Skyline cake, with the skyline cut out of chocolate. The first cake is a quick in-out thing, so I make sure hte 2nd cake isn't getting hit by any sun and take the first cake into the hotel.

10 minutes, I"m outta there. In that short 10 minute time frame, the sun had moved JUST enough to shine thru he windows and 2 of my city corners were all melted! icon_surprised.gif

I'm actually ahead of schedule, so I go back to the shop for damage control. I use my exacto knife and cut off the melted tops of the buildings (so I lost some skyscrapers). But one building had melted and fallen over in such a position that I would make a real mess if I tried to fix it. So I have this idea and just leave it.

Get to the venue and the staff is loving this cake. Groom is a fireman, so we had flames coming out of some of the corner buildings. I pointed to the melted building, which was right by the flames and said, "See that one? I held a lighter up to it and melted it so it would look like the buiiding collapsed in the fire!"

They thought I was a freakin' GENIUS!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had a crappy camera tht day, so I can't load the pics in CC but they are on my flickr link, if you're interested.

Just goes to show that sometimes you don't have to be a good decorator just a good liar! icon_lol.gif

10 replies
Mensch Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 11

hehehe! Good save!

Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 11

Hahaha that was smart. I Love the cake btw.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 11

Good for you!! Geez I sucked all the air out of the room for nothing--oxygen oxygen!!!

Great save!

cutthecake Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 11

Aaaah. It wasn't lying, it was creative license!

poohsmomma Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 11

Boy, you sure can think fast! Great story, and great cake.

Deb_ Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:40pm
post #7 of 11

hehehe love it!!!

dawncr Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 11

Just one more reason why it's great that IndyDebi gets to know a little about her clients (aside from being a great salesperson and figuring out their needs).

If she hadn't known or remembered the groom was a firefighter, she'd never have been able to come up with this brilliant solution. Of course, most of us wouldn't have thought of it even if we *had* known.

Kudos to you, IndyDebi. This goes down in the great-cake-save hall of fame.

aquamom Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 11

Indydebi--Please think of writing book with all of your wisdom!! I love all your stories and your feats of fearlessness in cake decorating icon_smile.gif.
Aquamom

3GCakes Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 11

That's awesome!

I didn't realize how melty chocolate was til I did my sister's cake....I mean, the rocks were melting as they were coming out of the mold straight out of the molds!

I could wrap the rocks around corners because they got so soft.

I'll take buttercream anyday!

Deb_ Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:08am
post #11 of 11

Hey Debi, checking back in!!! icon_biggrin.gif

After sleeping on it I think I "dreamt" up a solution for you so that this doesn't happen to you again.

Have you ever seen those "sun shades" that people use to keep the sun off of their kids in the car? They just connect with suction cups on to the window. That may be a nice addition to your van.

Or.......they sell those sheets of tinted plastic that just peel off and cling to the windows of cars/vans.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%