Cake Disaster Averted!

Decorating By antcat Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 1:26am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

antcat Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 3

I recently made a three tier cake for a 50th anniversary. The bottom layer was carrot cake with cream cheese filling. These were separate tiers on a graduating (separating) cake display. On the bottom tier it had the "Happy 50th Anniversary" writing and most intricate details. When I got to the hall after driving through 105 degree weather (yes a/c on full blast all the way) for about 50 miles, I was stunned to see the top layer had separated from the bottom on the bottom (12 inch) cake and all the filling was seeping out the sides. I wanted to cry! Fortunately I always bring extra icing and a few tips, but this was beyond repair on the sides. I slipped the cake back in place, fixed the decorations on top of the cake as best I could, but the sides were a disaster. After freaking out, I remembered I had brought some gold ribbon (wired) to decorate the table with and I grabbed it and measured (it was the exact size of the side of the cake! Thank you Lord!) so I wrapped the ribbon around the cake, pinned it in the back and no one was the wiser. My sis-in-law was giving the party and had seen it before the fix-up and almost started crying. After the ribbon, she was soooo pleased. I even had comments from people about was a unique and good idea to use the shimmery gold ribbon to decorate the bottom layer! Whew! Got through it, though I liked the cake much better the way it was originally intended, at least it was presentable. So here's a tip: bring lots of frosting and grab a roll of ribbon, just in case! (Also, I intend to buy a freezer sheet they make for the tops of coolers to lay under the cake boxes for next time!) Yikes! Crisis averted; could have been a disaster! icon_surprised.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 3

Necessity is the mother of inventionicon_smile.gif
Good job and fast thinking. Sometimes we come up with some really cool looking creations when we have to fix a problem.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 3

Good to hear you kept your cool and worked it out. Good advice, too, taking along lots of 'fix it' stuff, and some you didn't plan on using at all! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%