Should I Reconsider Satin Ice?

Decorating By misserica Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 3:33am by PinkZiab

misserica Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:54am
post #1 of 8

I made an Elmo cake/cupcake tower and I bought a bucket of Red Satin Ice. I covered my 6in cake with it and it was awful. Holes in it, wrinkled and all around ugly. I did not take a picture of it because I was so unhappy.

The next day I ripped the fondant off the cake, re-iced and then covered it in BC instead. I was trying to decide if there were factors that contributed. My house was on the warm side, 75 degrees but it was super muggy in Jersey these last few days. Also, it was Satin Ice and its known to be soft sometimes but I have not had a problem in the past.

Any ideas? Recommend a better brand of fondant? (also note that I used a bucket of green Satin Ice for the Jets cake that I covered the same night, no problems except human error with that one).

7 replies
loriemoms Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:35am
post #2 of 8

Satin Ice did something to their fondant (I think the new transfat laws made them have to do it) and even though I have not been able to get anyone at the company to admit it, I think it is much much softer and stickier. I stopped using it over a year ago..I now use either fondx or bakels/Pentinice. I have found Satin Ice did the same thing, it was sooo soft and it would tear and stretch even after being applied to the cake. You couldn't roll it thin, you had to roll it really thick for it to not "settle".

If you have some on hand and need to use, try adding some tylose to it and let it settle in it for a few hours. This will stiffin it alittle and make it less sticky and gummy.

RUMCAKE Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 8

Or make your own Fondant, its pretty easy to do. My last 5 tier cake (posted under wedding cake) was done with my own fondant bcse the bride didnt want the commercial one. I have also used Satin Ice and it start drooping from the cake. You could also add some extra icing sugar to it when you are rolling it out. That should help.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 8

I had a similar problem with black fondant. I added some Gum Tex to it, put it in a bag and let it sit for about an hour. Then it worked.

Ginni Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 8

I use Satin Ice because it is the only brand sold in stores except Wilton around here. The first time I used it was a couple of years ago when I was first learning to cover cakes (I still have crazy problems covering cakes for some reason). It turned out really hard and bubbly. I didn't use it again for a long time but I started using it again lately and I noticed the same thing ya'll are saying. It will tear right off the cake or almost seem like it falls down the sides after it sits for a while. I've never known how to fix it though. Next time I will try some of your tips.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:41am
post #6 of 8

Oh, I made some fondant people using Satin Ice and it was HORRIBLE!!!

I could NOT think of what went wrong....and now I realize it was probably just the Satin Ice.

I think I'm going to try a different brand.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 2:50am
post #7 of 8

Oh, this makes me nervous. I just ordered some Satin Ice to use on my nephew's birthday cake. Is it really that bad? Does the Gum Tex really help to stiffen it up?

PinkZiab Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:33am
post #8 of 8

I love Satin Ice... it's all I use and I buy it in every color and use those colors to blend my custom colors. I'll never use anything else!

Quote by @%username% on %date%