Black Lace Cake Girls Cake

Decorating By kdaze Updated 20 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm by chilz822

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 27

Hi I'm hoping I can get some good suggestions. I've been asked to copy this cake made by the Cake Girls. I am planning on doing the lace with sugar veil.

Is it hard to get sugar veil to go dark black?

Also has anybody ever seen this lace pattern or do you know where I can find something very close?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Karrie
LL

26 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:12am
post #2 of 27

Here is a pic of a cake someone on here made, they will probably be able to help you more.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1336961

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 27

dellboi2u has created her own recipe for a sugarveil type icing:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7283-1-Gummy-Spider-Webs-with-marshmallows.html

HTH

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:58am
post #4 of 27

Please let me know what you find out. I would love to do something like this for a friends 50th this monh.

Thanks,
Kat

kylekaitlyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kylekaitlyn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 27

I don't know how it's done, but it sure is gorgeous!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:16am
post #6 of 27

you can make sugarveil black, but you will want to substitute color for water when you mix. If you add too much liquid to Sugarveil, it can get difficult to use.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #7 of 27

Looks like this was all hand piped, probably in royal icing. Gorgeous cake!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:51am
post #8 of 27

I would like to know how to do this...my friend's mother is turning 86 and this would be great for that occasion. I have never done sugarveil...is that difficult?

kdaze Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 27

Thanks for the info. The cake is in about a month, so I'm ordering some sugar veil and going to give it a try. I really like the cake Nunuk did it is a great interpretation. I can't use real lace on the cake though. I'm going with the sugar veil to get a glossy finish.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:19am
post #10 of 27

That cake is AWESOME!! I totally love it!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:22am
post #11 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Looks like this was all hand piped, probably in royal icing. Gorgeous cake!

The more that I look at it, the more I think it was hand piped too. That's what I would do, if I were making this cake.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 19 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #12 of 27

Hi Karrie,

Whenever you want to make SugarVeil a dark color, use powdered color, and mix it into the SugarVeil powder before you add the water. That way SugarVeil's taste or consistency is not affected by the food color.

Here's a black lace cake we did using powdered color with a special SugarVeil Lace Mat. It's a new product - not available yet, but you can see a sneak preview at www.sugarveil.com/mat

In the meantime, either use the Icing Dispenser or a small parchment cone to pipe SugarVeil onto a greased parchment surface (or directly onto the cake).

Thanks Karrie, and have great fun with SugarVeil,

Emilyg
LL

kdaze Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #13 of 27

Thanks for the picture. I have already ordered the mat, I can't wait to get it. Any chance you could recomend a powdered color brand and how much do you mix in?Thanks

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #14 of 27

holy moley those are both beautiful!

emilyg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:27pm
post #15 of 27

Thanks - any brand is fine for the powdered color. I believe measurements are somewhere between 1-2 Tbl. black powdered color to l cup SugarVeil (then add 1/3c plus 2Tbl boiling water, beat on high speed 4 min).

If using a parchment cone (or piping bag with very fine tip) and you'd like a bit stiffer line, refrigerate the bag 30 minutes or so.

If using the Icing Dispenser, add a few drops of water to the already mixed SugarVeil to dilute a bit before filling cartridge.

Please let me know if I've left anything out - emilyg.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:16pm
post #16 of 27

wow beautiful, but is it a transfer or do yoi pipe over it, how did they get it lay over that one cake.

emilyg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 1:34pm
post #17 of 27

No, it's not a transfer. You just swipe the 11 x 16" silicone mat that has an incised lace design with SugarVeil, leave it overnight, and peel two long lengths of lace. If you don't cut the length, you can lay it across the cake as is, like the ganache cake that's pictured at www.sugarveil.com/mat. Or you can cut pieces from different parts of the length and place them (like the Matador cake).

There are also line designs you can download and trace by placing underneath greased parchment. Here is the link for those: http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:00pm
post #18 of 27

oh ok so it plyable thanks i'm thinking there is now way to copy the mat?

chilz822 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:42pm
post #19 of 27

I saw Jennifer Matsubara do a sugarveil lace design on the last FN Challenge (Designer Cakes), is this what she used (the mat method mentioned above)?
I'm off to the website to check sugarveil out... is it rubbery, stretchy... kind of like a gummy bear? Pipe it, dry it, peel it, and place it?

emilyg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:48pm
post #20 of 27

Maybe here's an option for now: Download and print one of the http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm lace designs a few times, cut into squares, and then connect the squares to each other to make a long pattern to pipe. - emilyg

emilyg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #21 of 27

Chilz - Yes, Jennifer Matsubara used lots of creative techniques with SugarVeil on her Food Network Challenge cake. SugarVeil is not really 'gummi-bear rubbery', but dry to the touch and flexible so you can bend or ruffle it. And yep, you've got it right - pipe it, dry (set) it, peel it, place it. - emilyg

chilz822 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 2:58pm
post #22 of 27

emilyg, thanks so much, I've been interested since I saw Laurie's skull cake and fell in love. Now, I see all this lace and I'm in awe.

Can you comment on what went wrong in this video:

chilz822 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 3:03pm
post #23 of 27

Oh duh! I found part2 of the video and answered my own question! She dried it too long!

emilyg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:19pm
post #24 of 27

Yes, she did another nice video [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HkOdtscMZ8&feature=channel_page where she made the web the same day, and didn't allow it to set overnight.

For some decorations (like spreading SugarVeil into thin sheets), setting overnite is too long. When the decorations are set, they need to be placed between parchment in a Ziploc bag to stay flexible.

Here's an interesting trick to remember: if the over-dried Spiderweb was on a rigid surface (like a flexible cutting board), it could have been carefully placed into a closed Ziploc along with a small open pot of SugarVeil in the bag (not touching the decoration), and the dried web would have returned to a flexible state after several hours or so.-eg

chilz822 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #25 of 27

ohhhhhh very cool! Well, I just ordered a small bag to give it a try, I'm so excited!

Powdered color, check. LoRann oils, or what does it taste like already? And last question, if the 1C mixture is too much, how long can I store it for after it's mixed?

I can't wait to see the OP's cake... those others are soooo pretty!

emilyg Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:48pm
post #26 of 27

Great, Chilz - that "small" bag will do gobs of decorations, since it's a dry mix and massively grows in volume when you add water and beat it. I mix one cup at a time so the Kitchenaid can get to it in the bowl (if you want to mix less than a cup, use a hand mixer), and then I make it all up in decorations of some sort (bows, monograms, stenciled scrolls, lace, etc). It will keep for days in the fridge, but I prefer to make decorations out of all I mix up at one time, and store them airtight for later use. And I keep everything - even tiny dried remainder bits I sort by color and keep filed. They make a great looking mosaic cake.

As to how it tastes, SugarVeil has a really mild flavor - a bit like meringue - not too sweet, just a pleasantly neutral so it won't interrupt any other flavor you'd like to add (liquids or oil based are fine too). The dried/set decorations melt on your tongue when you eat them - pretty cool stuff, I have to say. - emilyg

chilz822 Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 4:52pm
post #27 of 27

okok, you got me, I'm excited!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%