How Do You Melt Chocolate For Transfers - Mine Seizing Up

Decorating By dogluvr Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 8:19am by three_sets_of_twins

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to melt white Merkens chocolate pieces to make a chocolate transfer. The chocolate will not melt ..it keeps seizing up. I tried first in the microwave on 20 second intervals at 50% power in a small glass bowl. Then I tried in a double boiler on very low.....what am I doing wrong....Am I supposed to put something else in the chocolat.

5 replies
three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 6

What I do is Iuse a double boiler and add a few tablespoons of shortning (crisco) to the chocolate before it's melted. I bring the water to a boil then turn down the heat to low and just keep stirring. I never turn off the stove I just keep it on low.
White chocolate is a real pain but when you get used to it you kinda get the hang of it. If i do find it starting to seize up again I add another tsp of crisco.
Also make sure EVERYTHING you use is completely dry, water, even a drop, is the sworn enemy of chocolate!

dogluvr Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 6

thank you....I did everything you said, except the crisco...I will try that...will the chocolate harden enough for the transfer with the crisco?

dogluvr Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 6

its working....thank you....Is chocolate better for transfers than frozen BC...is it sturdier

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 6

Sounds like you have some old chocolate. I find it does this if I've had it sitting around for awhile.

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:19am
post #6 of 6

Ive never tried doing it with buttercream, but i make my own chocolates a lot thats how I knew about the crisco lol, and yes as long as youdont use too much they always harden just fine for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%