How Many Cake Photos On Your Website?

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm by jillmakescakes

jillmakescakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 9

So I'm leaning towards the "more is better" school of thought on this one, but wanted some opinions.

I do my website myself, and while it can be a pain to add new photos (especially if I add a lot at once), it is free for me to add them and I don't have a limit on the number of pages.

I currently have about 5 pages of occasion cakes and 3 pages of wedding cakes (20 cakes per page).

Is this photo overload, or helpful information since many of my orders come from the internet?

8 replies
lozpa Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 9

I must agree, more is better, i am currently trying to design my web site, and man it's alot of work.

jillmakescakes Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 9

Yes, its a lot of work, but it's saved me a TON of money. Plus, I learned way more about the site than I ever thought I would.

dsilvest Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 9

Make sure you back it up in case there are problems and you lose all the info on your site. You do not want to do it all again from scratch.

indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 9

agree with more is better. It's not just my opinion. Brides are telling me this.

Unlike a lot of other industries with websites, where people might be just browsing, weddings are a different animal. People don't plan a wedding everyday and they are THIRSTING for more and more info and helpful ideas/suggestions for their wedding.

When I first set up my site, my oldest daughter said I was too wordy (now HOW would she come to an opinion like that! icon_lol.gif ). She told me "We 20-somethings don't read .... we scan."

I said "If you're scanning for the latest thing that Miss Brittany did, then yeah, I'll agree with you. But this is a WEDDING! Brides are looking for as much information as they can get!"

So everytime I get a bride who compliments me on what a great informative website I hvae "....with so much good information!", I make sure to pass it on to my daughter!

If you ever run out of photo space ...... I have a Flickr site for my pics. Almost unlimited spacing for free. I had over 200 pics before I max'd out the free space and had to pay $25 annual fee. I just have a link on my regular website of "Click here for more photos".

Just make sure your pics are easy to see and get to. Many brides are browsing at work and the less time they can spend doing non-work stuff, the better they feel about it. So a site that makes them click to enlarge, click to go back, is not as user-friendly as one that just has the pics right in front of her. REmember, she's trying not to get caught by the boss doing non-work stuff! thumbs_up.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #6 of 9

I totally agree with all the replies, MORE is BETTER.

They all want something but not sure what they are looking for, if you don't have many pictures, then they will go to another site to try and find it.

Let's face it, how many pictures do WE browse on THIS website - I don't know about you guys, but I can't get enough!

I load pretty much every cake up on my website and I still have customers asking if I have a book with more photos! Let them browse till their hearts content.

Best of luck,

costumeczar Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:52pm
post #7 of 9

I have TONS of pictures and information on my website, and people are constantly telling me how good and informative it is. Another benefit is that when I ask brides if they have any questions for me, they'll say "no, I think that I got all the answers I needed from reading your site." It prevents me from having to say the same things over and over and over...

cylstrial Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 9

Definitely more is better! People get idea's from your cakes and they see what you're capable of!

jillmakescakes Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 9

ok- thanks for reinforcing my thinking.!!!

I know that i personally prefer more to less, but since I don't run the world (yet icon_twisted.gif ) I thought I'd get some feedback.

Quote by @%username% on %date%