Why Is It . . .

Decorating By cakesbybert Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm by 7yyrt

cakesbybert Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 22

that when you spend lots of time an effort on an extremely complex cake and you finally get it completed and want to share with others it goes unnoticed......but an extremely simple uncomplicated cake will get tons of rave reviews.
To the point not even going to post cakes, this was my only place I could get feed back on my work -

21 replies
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 22

icon_rolleyes.gif

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 22

don't know what time cake was posted -- but could it have been late at night? past my early beddy-bye time (which is getting earlier and earlier every year. -- it's true! you do get more and more like a young kid the older you get!)

could it be that lots of others do as I do and just skip the home page and go straight to the forum postings?

could it be that leaving it to the chance encounter with front page or recently uploaded, it just gets lost in the mad rush of cakes being posted.

----

in any event.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1425481.html

is an excellent cake. YDG! RG!

----

of course:
1) did it survive the drive?

2) you know this means you have to do a little "tell-all" on how you made it (especially that chopper front fork)

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 22

Yes Doug, people do get more and more like a young kid the older they get. Wait until you start wearing diapers again.

Misdawn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 22

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! Did you really have to go there Rylan?! LOL!

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 22

Are you being serious? I mean your sincerely complaing about this?

cakesbybert Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

don't know what time cake was posted -- but could it have been late at night? past my early beddy-bye time (which is getting earlier and earlier every year. -- it's true! you do get more and more like a young kid the older you get!)

No cake was posted during the early afternoon. Made sure to post during that time - realize that late night post don't get notice. I guess I could have posted at 4:30 am when I finished the cake!!

Quote:

in any event.

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/News.....fault.aspx

I must be stupid and confused don't know what all this means?? Don't know what Native American Dance has to do with cake?

Quote:

of course:
1) did it survive the drive?

The cake did make it - at least 5 min. before delivery point I got a call that it was still okay. I guess this was a good test for my daughter and her fiance -if you can survive a 5 hour drive with a large cake with out killing each other you can survive marriage. icon_lol.gif

As for details on making the forks - that will have to wait - pictures of construction on my work computer. Yes I work a full time job and decorate on the side. So late night is the only time I have to work on cakes.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 22

I would say that if you really want feedback then go ahead and post a picture in the forum. I know that when I go to the gallery and look at the last uploads there are soooo many that I just scan and dont take the time to comment. I know you want to know what others think but remember that it is a very busy season and people dont have much time right now. I will take a momment and check your cakes out though. icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 22

Did I miss a memo? I didn't know we were required to look at the pictures.

cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 22

Well I think your motorcycle cake is pretty amazing! I can see how it would be hard to transport it! But you really did a great job.

I know that posting cakes can sometimes be a frustrating process. I think it really just depends who sees it at what time.

But keeping making great cakes!

kokopuff Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #11 of 22

Not sure why you are complaining your cakes are great and every single one of them are in somebodys favs. that says a lot right there!I can't say so much for myself but I have high hopes for the future! icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbybert

Quote:

No cake was posted during the early afternoon. Made sure to post during that time - realize that late night post don't get notice. I guess I could have posted at 4:30 am when I finished the cake!!

Quote:

in any event.

http://my.hsj.org/Schools/News.....fault.aspx

I must be stupid and confused don't know what all this means?? Don't know what Native American Dance has to do with cake?

see what happens when I try to multi-task and do email at the same time. (local newspaper seeing if I can get a student crew up and running to videotape our HS football games and then post to their website)

bad bad results!!!!

so, I've fixed the link above (tho' you're all still welcome to take a look at the first fledgling trial post to what I hope will become a great site run by my HS journalism students -- stay tuned!)

here's the corrected link again:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1425481.html

tootie0809 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:59pm
post #13 of 22

Well, I for one rarely look at the pics on the home page anymore. I just don't have the patience to wait for the flash player format. I know, I know, but I'm impatient. If I'm looking for particular ideas, then I will browse the galleries, but ever since the home page changed a couple months ago, I just don't really look at too many cakes here. Like someone said earlier, I got straight to the forums usually. Sorry you feel that your work was ignored. I think there are several factors into why some cakes get more attention than others. Don't take it too hard. You do great work!

jillangel Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 12:52am
post #14 of 22

I didn't see many 'extremely simple uncomplicated' cakes but I saw some of the coolest well executed cakes ever. I didn't have time to comment on them all but WOW! Thank you for bringing your album to my attention. You are rather talented and creative!

Texas_Rose Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #15 of 22

I think sometimes the more complicated cakes don't get as many favorites because people want to save the things that they may want to attempt in the future.

costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:44am
post #16 of 22

I never look at the pictures on this site...I have work to do, and the forums are enough of a time suck!

JanH Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:51am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Unfortunately, as you will learn, some of your pictures will not receive the comments that you will expect...this is not intentionally done by the members. Alot of the members only view pictures for inspiration or will add them to their favorites album for later use without leaving a comment. If you need help or want opinions on a cake, just ask and I guarantee you that the members will be right there to help if they can..we are a very nice bunch of decorators icon_biggrin.gif

Above taken from this sticky:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-423993.html

So please, feel free to ask... We'll be there for you. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

IMHO, your cake is exceptional!!!

HTH

cutthecake Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:08am
post #18 of 22

tootie,
The home page has changed in the past couple of days--take a look.

JaimeAnn Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:09am
post #19 of 22

I was too busy searching for cake clues from Rylan in our Google Cake game .. no time to look at pictures when on a cake scavenger hunt.

chasie73 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #20 of 22

Wow! Are you really complaining? Seriously? Com'on... all of your pictures have several views and most of them are in the double digit favorites. That right there should tell you something.

Eisskween Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 2:34am
post #21 of 22

I look at it like this, I post a cake and if I get feedback, fine, if not, that's fine too. Lots of my cakes have no feedback, but I still post them anyway.

You know what, who cares what the people on here think about your cakes. The most important feedback is from the customer who ordered from you.

Your cake is excellent and detailed. You should be proud.

7yyrt Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 3:40pm
post #22 of 22

You have a minimum of 94 views and a maximum of 1,562 views.
What is your question? Why the fancy ones don't get more views (or bravos)? Who knows, shrug.

If you are looking for critiques, try joining one of the critique subgroups. You must be a gallery supporter first. Information on the gallery supporter page.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%