Metallic Silver??

Decorating By mandymomof3 Updated 7 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm by cserwa

mandymomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 7

I am kinda a newbie at this but I love all the fancy cakes. I am wondering if all the metallic silver I am seeing is airbrushed, or is there another way to do the metallic silver. I've tried painting with the luster dusts, etc. and it's not that nice metallic silver painted look. Any help is appreciated!

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 7

Getting the right dust makes a difference. NuSilver is the only one I know of that will give you a nice shiny, metallic color. It can be airbrushed on or painted.
Mix the dust w/a few drops of alcohol (such as vodka or lemon extract; check the % of alcohol - the higher the better) until it is a thick mud but fluid; for ab'ing it needs to be thinner then if painting by hand.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with kakeladi. However, I have started using the airbrush gold and silver thinned with vodka and spraying it using the small sprayers from Home Depot. Works really great and fast with no brushing!

cayleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cayleigh Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 7

** agree with kakeladi. However, I have started using the airbrush gold and silver thinned with vodka and spraying it using the small sprayers from Home Depot. Works really great and fast with no brushing!**

So is that what you use for an airbrush? The thing from home depot? I would like to try airbrushing but not ready to spend the amount on a machine just yet. Thanks

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, they are cheap and with a little practice you can get an even coat. Have fun!

cayleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cayleigh Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 7

wow awesome thanks!!

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 7 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 7

Am I an idiot? What little sprayers from Home Depot? Like a water bottle sprayer? I can't envision what you're talking about, and this sounds like such a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%