Oh My! -- Get A Load Of These Cakes...

Decorating By Doug Updated 21 Aug 2009 , 2:57am by linstead

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 27

by new-ish CC member Kimmy25

http://www.makeitmemorable.com.au/cakes.asp

Her bling is fantastic and that Party Bags Cake such a great idea!

Welcome KIM! (love your little koala avatar!)

26 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 27

welcome kim! wow!!!! amazing cakes!
diane

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 27

Those carved cakes are amazing!!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 27

So many great creations--the bridge, the bling yes the bling, the cars, wow and so effortless looking--recreations of real things in sugar--and done efficiently--I really admire your style, Kim.

I mean tons of stuff--but take that bridge--she gets 'the bridge' in such a seemingly effortless way. Just wow.

You make it look simple and I know it's not. Bravo, CakeBuddy

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 27

Go girl!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 27

very creative!

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:24pm
post #7 of 27

Gorgeous, amazing work!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:07pm
post #8 of 27

Hi Everyone,

Thanks firstly to Doug..... what a lovely welcome to CC - I had no idea this was on a thread until I was looking the stats on my website and it has a page that shows me what links people have used to view my web and when I clicked on one of them it came to this thread!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments - I think there are some truly amazing cakes on here that are much better than mine and I admire the artwork and creativity that goes into these cakes. What's funny is that I have noticed that novelty cakes or "carved cakes" as you guys call them are not that popular. I personally love them and you can tell, however I did put a 21st cake on there that I did this week only 1 day ago and it has had over 700 views and been saved into favourites by over 50 people views which astounded me, all this in 24hrs - I love doing these cakes as well by my heart is really in the novelty cakes.

Anyway, I don't want to bore you all too much, but sincerely thank you to all of you who have commented, I really appreciate it.

Makeitmemorable Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 27

...... by the way Doug, I can't take credit for the little Koala's, I was sent them by 7YYRT, she was so wonderful to send them to me and then tell me how to load them - they are cute though....

Thanks again everyone, especially to you Doug, I feel honoured that you picked my site!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 1:24pm
post #10 of 27

Your cakes are amazing, Welcome to CC

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 27

wow! your cakes are amazing!!!!

would you share your structure secrete on the bowling ball and the pins behind it?

that was so cool!

you rock girl!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 9:03pm
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitmemorable

Thanks again everyone, especially to you Doug, I feel honoured that you picked my site!

you're welcome icon_biggrin.gif --

Like so many here, I too would love to have tutorials on how you did those cakes, like the bridge and theater!

thumbs_up.gif

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:05am
post #13 of 27

Hey there,

I am more than happy to share any info about any of the cakes - what is the best way to do this, do I just add it to this thread? Let me know what cakes and I will share all.

Thanks to Melodyscakes and uniqueask for your kind comments.

Melodyscakes - the Bowling Ball - easy - I used a wiltons sports ball tin, cut out the finger holes in the cake before hand, covered it in black fondant and cut the 8 out in fondant also. (I used 8 because it was his 8th birthday). The pins - I have attached a copy of the picture I used to get the shape and colour - you can resize this picture to suit. I made 5 2D pins cut out of fondant and let them dry - they were no thicker than 5mm. After they dried I coloured them and then used royal icing to stick them together. I used 1 piece of dowel behind the centre pin to make the whole thing stand up behind the cake. The dowel was attached with royal icing also. I hope this makes sense, any questions, let me know.
Have a good day,
Kim
LL

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:06am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

So many great creations--the bridge, the bling yes the bling, the cars, wow and so effortless looking--recreations of real things in sugar--and done efficiently--I really admire your style, Kim.

I mean tons of stuff--but take that bridge--she gets 'the bridge' in such a seemingly effortless way. Just wow.

You make it look simple and I know it's not. Bravo, CakeBuddy

Thanks for your kinds words - your cakes are great - I admire anyone who will stack them that high - hats off to you. BTW..... love the sneakers!!

cowboy.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:25am
post #15 of 27

Your cakes are Awesome... Although I have seen your Dora cake before on another popular Cake Blog. I don't know if you know that it is on there.

Makeitmemorable Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 10:15am
post #16 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Your cakes are Awesome... Although I have seen your Dora cake before on another popular Cake Blog. I don't know if you know that it is on there.

Yeah, I found my cake on a website called "Cake wrecks.com." as the 'fat Dora' - I dont' know how I found it there but I laughed so much - if we made her skinny there would be no cake!!!

Thanks for your kind words,

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 1:45pm
post #17 of 27

Wonderful Creations!!! Welcome to CC, we also love new talent on here, and we are obviously going to learn alot from You!!!!!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:

Hey there,

I am more than happy to share any info about any of the cakes - what is the best way to do this, do I just add it to this thread? Let me know what cakes and I will share all.

Wow, your cakes are great!! Love the boxes with the blingy necklaces!!

Okay, HELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!! icon_biggrin.gif How do you do the spongebob cake?? it's perfect!!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:53pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, I found my cake on a website called "Cake wrecks.com." as the 'fat Dora' - I dont' know how I found it there but I laughed so much - if we made her skinny there would be no cake!!!

Thanks for your kind words,

Hahaha I looked at the other pictures and was like hey that one shouldn't be on there as a cake wreck, Just because shes fat! Maybe she had been hanging around the chocolate tree and put on a few pounds ... LOL after all I would be fat too if my body was made of cake.. Wait maybe that is why I am fat, Yeah thats it its all cake! Hahhahah

Makeitmemorable Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:28am
post #20 of 27
Quote:

What is really funny JaimeAnn is the delicate way you mentioned it was on that site...... 'on another popular cake blog' - it thought that was SOOO funny Hahahaha icon_lol.gif - that is just precious - If they thought it was a wreck, no problems at all, at least they took the time to find it and blog it. Some comments back about it were hysterical but a lot did love "chubby dora" !!!!!LOL icon_surprised.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:00am
post #21 of 27

Wow! Thanks for pointing our attention to these Doug!

I recognize a few Debbie Brown designs, I love her!

How did you do the bling necklaces?! Those are fantastic!

Makeitmemorable Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMakar

Wow! Thanks for pointing our attention to these Doug!

I recognize a few Debbie Brown designs, I love her!

How did you do the bling necklaces?! Those are fantastic!

Hi, thanks for your kinds comments. The 'Bling" necklaces are quite simple, I just wrote their names out on a piece of paper - covered it with baking paper and flooded the names with royal icing. When they were nearly dry and put the little diamontes on them. The diamontes are not edible and neither is the chain. They could just remove these from the cakes to keep them.

Hope this helps.

Kim

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 10:50pm
post #23 of 27

Thanks!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:26pm
post #24 of 27

Those necklaces are amazing, thanks for sharing how you did them and congratulations on the beautiful cakes icon_biggrin.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:45pm
post #25 of 27

Holy smokes, Miss Kim!!!!!! You are mighty awesome!! I loved every cake I saw on your page. I can only dream of getting that good. But I guess practice makes perfect!! Even with that I don't think I could ever achieve your grand stature! Toot your horn, honey, because you are FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:40am
post #26 of 27

Absolutely amazing!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 21 Aug 2009 , 2:57am
post #27 of 27

Love your toaster cake!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%