Advice For Fondant Frustrations

Decorating By designer3941 Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm by underthesun

designer3941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designer3941 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 4

I'm increasily frustrated with Satin Ice fondant. icon_cry.gif

I've found cake after cake lately is cracking. Does anyone else experience this? I've read that adding shortening helps. Does anyone add shortenting first thing when they knead it? So many people use Satin Ice so I would love to hear what tricks work for everyone.

I've had great luck with Jennifer Dontz' fondant recipe and love the taste but also liked Satin Ice for the convienience factor.

I welcome any advice - tricks of the trade, other brands, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Tammy

3 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 4

When I knead Satin Ice, I make sure my hands and surface has shortening. It really does help in my experience.

designer3941 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designer3941 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Rylan! Maybe that will do the trick for me.

If anyone has any additional tips or fondant preferences, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks all!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4

I use Satin Ice and it does tend to crack around the edges. I have read and finally tried using a mat or plastic sheeting to roll the fondant on and then place the rolled side of fondant onto cake and peeling off the sheeting. It leaves the side which was touching the mat now on the outside of the cake. I had no cracking! I've read some cc'rs have purchased plastic material and cut it to the size they need. My DH is purchasing a silicone mat for my birthday and can't wait to get it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%