How Hot The Oven? Please !!!

Decorating By mayatlan Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm by mayatlan

mayatlan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 7

Hi can someone help me? I need to bake a sponge cake (packet) for tomorrow, the packet is 500grams, and it says bake at 190 c for 20 minutes and it will make 2x8 sponge tins. I need to make a 12in square tin 3in high. How many packets do I need? bake for how long and how hot the oven? PLEASE HELP ME, THANK YOU. mayatlan

6 replies
JanH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 7

The oven temperature wouldn't be higher! The temp. should stay the same or I'd go even a little lower if that's possible on your oven.

To determine how many packets of mix you need:

Fill the 2x8" tin with water to desired batter level, measure amount required.

Fill the 12x3" square with water to desired batter level, measure amount required.

Multiple the number of packets needed by how many times greater the total water (batter) amount of the bigger pan is than the total water (batter) amount of the smaller pan.

Hope this isn't as clear as mud...

mayatlan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 7

THANK YOU JanH,

You are an angel ! I will do that right now.

JanH Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 7

You're most welcome. icon_smile.gif

mayatlan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry how long do I leave it in the oven, and instead of 190c can I set it on 170c ? THANK YOU !1

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 7

given that in america we bake at 350F (177C) and often lower our ovens to 325F (163C) I would think you could lower your oven to 170C.

as for done -- I'm one of the "if it looks done, smells done and tests done, it's done)

the tests I use -- take a toothpick (or thin skewer) and insert in middle of cake. If it comes out clean it's done. Also -- if push down on center if should spring back.

look done: just starting to pull from sides

smells done -- well that just comes from baking a lot.

mayatlan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 7

THANK YOU : JanH and Doug

the cake came up beautiful, thank you for your help.

mayatlan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%