Help With Daughter's Wedding Cake

Decorating By bigred75 Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 6:24am by xstitcher

bigred75 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 7

I am thinking about making my daughter's wedding cake. It will be many layers and ornate. I have done birthday, etc projects--things that take a week of prep...but that is all. What kind of schedule would I be looking at??? How do the flowers hold up over time and how do you preserve them? Also how far in advance can a layer be baked??/ Please help me- those of you who have made wedding cakes.

6 replies
cylstrial Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 7

You could start making the flowers a month before the weeding if you want. Just put them somewhere safe!

As far as a timeline - here's what I do.

Sunday - plan everything. How many eggs, cups of flour, etc.
Monday - go to the grocery store and pick everything up.
Tuesday - make the frosting and the moistening syrup
Wednesday - (you can either start baking the cakes or shift everything down a day (doing the things on Sunday on Monday instead). If you start baking the cakes, I wrap them in saran wrap and leave them on the counter until tomorrow.
Thursday - bake the rest of the cakes (or all of them). Tort, fill, crumbcoat all cakes.
Friday - lay the fondant on the cake. decorate
Saturday - any finishing touches.

If it's an even wedding, you can shove everything down a little bit more as well. Because you can spend most of the day working on the cake.

Hope this helps! You just have to figure out what works for you.

You can also bake the cakes and freeze them. Saran wrap them and then foil them. If you choose this method, you have to let them thaw for about 6 hours before you crumb coat and fondant or else your cake will sweat big time.

yamber82 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 7

congratulations to your daughter icon_smile.gif

i have mainly done bday and shower cakes also. i did my own wedding cake which was pretty simple, but that's it for the weddings until a few weeks ago i did another one. i was completely confident about it, esp since it was a pretty simple design, but after i started doing it i realised it was a whole nuther ball game. so my advice is prepare yourself cuz it's not exactly the same as a bday cake. wish i would have known that before, lol. anyway, it's under my photos if you wanna look at it. i personally think it turned out really ugly, lol, but it is exactly what she asked for so that's all that counts icon_smile.gif

as for flowers, you can pretty much make them whenever you want. leave them out for several days at least until they are completely dry. i have heard to store them in an air tight container so that's what i did last time but when i opened it they were kinds soft again so i don't think i let them dry long enough. i would say atleast 4-5 days of drying. and also, once they are done, be extreeemely careful with them cuz they will be kinda brittle and break easily. no biggie, just don't handle them a lot until you're ready to put hem on. you probably know all that already though icon_smile.gif

and as for the cake i would definately suggest baking and freezing so you arn't overwhelmed at the last few days. you can take them out i think up to a weak ahea. not sure on that though.

well good luck with everything!!!

yamber82 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 7

k8memphis, i just looked at your tutorial thingy and that was awesome! very helpful if i ever need to do something like that. and the cake was beautiful (assuming the one in the pic was yours icon_wink.gif

one question though, and i have had this issue with several cakes, but how do you know how many flowers to make? i usually just guess and end up with a crapload leftover, which kills me cuz that was a lot of time wasted

-K8memphis Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 7

Just take the size of the finished flower and determine how many will fit in one half of one side (or if it's a round cake on one quarter of the side of that cake) and multiply. Know what I mean?

xstitcher Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:24am
post #7 of 7

What medium will be using to make the flowers?

I think baking and freezing the cakes ahead of time will help a lot for you since this is your daughter's cake and not a client's. Just make sure you wrap in a couple of layers of saran wrap and then heavy duty foil and let the cakes defrost completely (with the saran wrap and foil still on) before filling/icing.

Congrats on your daughter's upcoming wedding. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%