Water

Decorating By babydbones Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 1:10am by beachcakes

babydbones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydbones Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 6

how do i make icing look like water? I am pretty sure that i use the piping gel but should i buy it or make it? I found some recipes. and can i just smooth it on top of buttercream?? Thanks for the help!!!!

5 replies
Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

If you can make it go for it, Just add blue food color a little at a time until you get the desired color, and yes you can smooth it on Buttercream (Gently though),

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:30am
post #3 of 6

You can also buy it, it is not that expensive. I used the wilton piping gel (got at Wal-Mart), colored blue in my dolphin cake I made for my daughter back in March.

babydbones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babydbones Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 6

hmmm maybe i should take a drive...i dunno if i should try to make it lol.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:51pm
post #5 of 6

Hobby Lobby has a 25% off regular price coupon --not their usual 40%, but worth it to invest in the piping gel which is only about $4.99 anyway. It goes a long way and can also be used to glue on fondant pieces to cakes later, etc.

Also, depending on the kind of water you are making (I have two cakes with the look as if the water is splashing, you can paint some white bc or ri into the area to give it some depth. If it is a pooled effect, the same goes for the water, I paint the "hole" (for lack of a better description) with a solid first, then put the piping gel on top of that so there is depth to it. I also use teal with sky blue to give it a true water hue.

HTH!

[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1246298[/url]

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 6

I'd buy it if you can. I had disastrous results making piping gel. It mixed up nice, made water on the top of the cake, put in fridge, next morning it had gotten very watery and dripped down the sides of my cake! Not pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%