Our Strange Gas Station Mishap......

Lounge By CanadianCakin Updated 13 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm by auntmamie

CanadianCakin Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 13

You just won't believe this seriuosly I'm still in shock of strange events!
I was at the gas station with my 9 month old son in the stroller I was using the microwave to heat up his bottle when all of a sudden BAM!!!
The iced coffee machine canister (the part that holds the liquid) mysteriously falls down on to my face just above my eye, then onto the canopy of the stroller all the while spilling like 10 litres of sticky coffee all over everything!!
The canopy on the stroller saved my son, but I have a black eye and a good head ache! I have no idea how it happened I wasn't touching it or anything it just fell
So the manager comes over says sorry hands me some paper towel and his business card and tells e to call him next week......

Seriously! What!? That's it some paper towel and a business card how about an "are you two okay?" "is there anything I can do to help?" "do you need some ice for the black eye?"
I tell ya it's just been one of those days!

Anyhow thanks for letting me vent!

~Ashley

12 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:48am
post #2 of 13

That's scary. Those things are heavy and if you bruised up right away and still hurt pretty bad, you probably need to go have your face x-rayed. You may have a fracture. I'm so glad your baby is all right.

Is the store a corporately owned one? Do they have a main office you can call? Because they owe you something. That's probably why he gave you his card. I'm assuming that your clothes and the stroller got stained with coffee. You need to call their corporate office and tell them what happened and tell them they need to pay for the cost of cleaning or a replacement stroller...and don't call until you've had your poor face checked out by a doctor. A lot of people who had something like that happen would look for a lawyer. By telling you he was sorry, the store manager admitted liability. The way most of those machines work is that the tank is taken down to be filled and then has to be latched back in place by the employee.

I'm sorry...I'm getting mad at them for letting you get hurt. I used to be a gas station manager and if that happened to someone in my store I would have insisted they get looked at by a doctor and I would have helped them get the coffee off the stroller.

OfficerMorgan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:34am
post #3 of 13

Um, you need to contact the corporation-seriously. That is ridiculous! If an old lady can sue because her coffee was too hot and spilled from her freaking cup...well...you certainly have some recourse here.

CanadianCakin Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the support! I still can't believe it! I tried calling the head office in Toronto but of course they were closed and and will be until tuesday, monday is a holiday...so I will try then!

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 13

I hope the manager hasn't already called the head office to report the incident and in the process told them it was all your fault and that you didn't deserve any compensation.

Were there any witnesses?

What about security tape video (get it!)

Contacted a lawyer? (yes, this is a law suit!)

Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 13

Agree with Doug.... think if there was no canopy on the stroller!

MichelleM77 Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:05am
post #7 of 13

I would even visit the ER to have your injuries documented. Glad everyone is okay.

Kiddiekakes Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:30am
post #8 of 13

I would also have a Dr look at your injuries!!! That is too weird...I bet any of the major companies will definetly do something to avoid a lawsuit.Contact them Tuesday!! I shudder what could have happened to your baby!!

dldbrou Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 13

Take a picture of your eye. Document everything while it is still fresh in your mind. They may still have a video of the accident, so you might need a lawyer to get it. Do this right away before they erase the video.

Hope you and your baby are doing better today.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 13

Hope y'all are ok Cake Buddy & CakeBuddy Munchkin.

As has been said, that thou doest do quickly--don't delay--get you an accident report going somewhere--if you have insurance--sic your insurance company on them.

G_Cakes Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:43am
post #11 of 13

1. Go to the doctor, get everything documented including the stroller.

2. Contact your lawyer not the corporations head office.

3. Document in a letter everything that happened leading up to and after this incident.

4. Send that letter to the corporation letting them know that you are contacting a lawyer and that you are putting them on notice of any possible legal action.

Document everything on a DAILY basis including your black eye, any headaches or light headiness you may experience in writing and pictures.

Have baby checked out while your at it to be safe and document that as well.

This could have turned out so much worse (thank goodness it did not) and I got to be asking myself why would the coffee canister/machine be placed that high up that it smacked you above the eye?

Anyone getting coffee runs the risk of burning themselves or worse reaching for it.

Good luck hun icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 2:30am
post #12 of 13

First, I'm so glad that you're baby wasn't burned and that you only got a black eye and a headache. That situation could have been so much worse. I hope that you feel better soon.

Second, that's nuts! I guarantee that the manager was supposed to fill out an accident report and send it into corporate.

I can tell you right now, he's in big trouble.

auntmamie Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Um, you need to contact the corporation-seriously. That is ridiculous! If an old lady can sue because her coffee was too hot and spilled from her freaking cup...well...you certainly have some recourse here.

I've read the "old lady hot coffee" lawsuit, and can comment on that - She was only asking for small damages (under 10K). The lawyers decided to go for a huge settlement to pad their pockets - she asked the judge to just give her what she asked for, so she wouldn't become the center of a huge legal scandal. Yes, that's right, scandal!

To the OP - I work in liability insurance. Definitely contact the risk management department at the corporation to report your claim. No, you aren't doing anything wrong by reporting it. In fact, it will help everyone in the end - claims reported mean better risk management in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%