My Worst Lemon Cake

Decorating By blacklovelyone Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 5:16am by evasmama

blacklovelyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blacklovelyone Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:57am
post #1 of 5

Someone ask me to make a diabetic cake for them. A lemon one. All I thought I had to do was follow the directions on Swans Down Cake Flour box for the 1-2-3-4 Cake. Instead of sugar I used spenda. I thought I would pump it up some so I added lemon instant pudding along with lemon oil for flavoring.I baked it and it was just awful! It did not rise or anything. Itcraked on top and rubbery. And it was not done on the inside. Oh I did use some buttermilk along with the regular milk for recioe because it looked to thick to me. That was batch #1

Batch #2
This time I left out the pudding thinking that was the problem. Well my milk was getting low so I used buttermilk insted. I did not use salt because I used buttermilk..Well the mix looked perfect! I put it in the pans thinking finally. Well low and behold the samething happen.I have no clue what I did wrong.If anyone could tell me what I did wrong I would be so happy.

I took pictures and I will upload them under blacklovelyone.

4 replies
ChimbleySweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChimbleySweets Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 5

I don't know what could have caused that, but I've seen cake mixes that are specifically for people who can't have sugar in the grocery store..they're not by the regular cake mixes though, you might have to ask someone where their section with special items like this is..icon_smile.gif

cookiemom51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemom51 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 5

You don't say whether you used Baking Splenda which is a mix of sugar and sweetener developed for use in baking, which would be my first recommendation. Cakes made from scratch for diabetics should be from recipes developed for that purpose, as it would be good to provide information on sugar and carbohydrate content to the recipient.

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 5

whenever you use buttermilk, you must use baking soda - or your cake won't turn out. It's an acid reaction.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:16am
post #5 of 5

Baking is not an art. It's a science. Rather than tinkering with an established recipe, try to find one that suits your needs with little or no adjustments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%