How Far Ahead Can I Decorate A Cake??

Decorating By canadiangirl Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 3:03am by lthiele

canadiangirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canadiangirl Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:48am
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

How far ahead can I decorate a cake with fondant before the wedding day?? I was planning on decorating the cake on thursday and the wedding is on saturday.Is this okay or too soon???

10 replies
cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 11

It depends on the type of cake it is?

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:40am
post #3 of 11

Yes, I'd like to know the answer as well. I assume a fruit cake would keep the longest! I also know the filling makes a difference. I'd love to know more from those who are very experienced....icon_smile.gif

canadiangirl Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 11

It is going to be a three layer one choc and two white.It will be filled with bc and one with choc ganache

Bonavolonta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonavolonta Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:38am
post #5 of 11

Is there a reason you want to finish it so early? I'd wait if possible. You don't want to be finishing up as the wedding is starting but if you do it to soon the fondant can start to sag and tear. The weight of the fondant will make the cake settle too causing bumpy spots and ripples. I made this mistake once and it was not pretty.

canadiangirl Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 11

This is my own wedding cake and I am going part way to my parents the thursday night and then to the wedding destination on friday then the wedding saturday.It is a small wedding only immediate family so i will have to take my chances I guess.

loulou2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loulou2 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #7 of 11

I would wait as long as possible. Can you bake the cake & make the icing & finish & assemble there?
You are brave to do your own cake anyway!!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:09am
post #8 of 11

Thursday to saturday is perfect good timing.

cags31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cags31 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 11

Chocolate mud cake seems to keep for a week. I'm making one this weekend for next weekend, only because it's the only time i have and i know it will be fine. I have made them a week in advance and they are still moist. Most cakes don't keep that long. Most recipes should tell you how long the cake would be good for.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:30am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolacaracas

Thursday to saturday is perfect good timing.

It's when I do most of mine.

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:03am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiangirl

This is my own wedding cake and I am going part way to my parents the thursday night and then to the wedding destination on friday then the wedding saturday.It is a small wedding only immediate family so i will have to take my chances I guess.

I decorated my own wedding cake too! You dont want to be fiddling with it on the day, as long as it is left in good hands I think it will be fine.

Have a great day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%