Cancelled Order And Need To Use Cake

Decorating By Polkadot79 Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 12:50am by Polkadot79

Polkadot79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 10

I had a request for a cake in a luau theme, so I was making a tall 10 inch round cake that was going to resemble a grass skirt...with hibiscus flowers on top, fondant grass draping all on sides, and sand on board. The customer decided she didn't want to spend as much as I was requesting on the cake, so I now have 4 10 inch rounds. I do have another order this weekend for my brother's birthday. The design is up to me just so it has the Ford logo and several other brands of tools' logos/replicas on it. I was planning to do a red toolbox with the logos as stickers all over the toolbox. My dilemma is the toolbox is rectangular and my layers are round that I have baked. I'm not big on freezing, so I would rather adjust and use the rounds. Any ideas on how I can incorporate the idea with the rounds and still have a creative cake?

9 replies
Doug Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 10

ford? tools?

TIRES!

and the logo is on the middle of wheel cover

the fondant tools are laying around

logos could be splashed all over the board (or if for things like oil, etc. on little fondant replicas)

Polkadot79 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 10

Good idea...he's a plumber, so all I could see in my head was a big toilet seat. icon_biggrin.gif Not going to happen! I think I will go with that idea. Maybe even 2 or 3 tires kinda stacked on top of each other. Thanks!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 8:37am
post #4 of 10

Doug, you're a freakin' genius!! (I was going to suggest a beer can.)

Doug Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:17pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

Doug, you're a freakin' genius!! (I was going to suggest a beer can.)

HEY -- that's equally good and just as much a "guy thing!"

don't sell yourself short.

PattyT Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

ford? tools?

TIRES!

and the logo is on the middle of wheel cover

the fondant tools are laying around

logos could be splashed all over the board (or if for things like oil, etc. on little fondant replicas)

LOVE this idea. Great save!

jules5000 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 10

Well you could cut the round sides off of about 3 cakes and make a rectangular cake and make a tool box handle out of one of the round sides you cut out. Then you could use some of the cut off parts to make some tools. then use the fourth cake to do the logos from the tool companies. THe cake would still be somewhat high and sure it might be shorter than the normal tool box, but come-on they need to use some imagination too. I think that they would not even notice that it was shorter than usual. Good luck.

Polkadot79 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for all the input...great ideas! I did think of cutting the sides off and making squares, but just went with this. I ended up freezing 2 layers.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1426589

JaimeAnn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:18am
post #9 of 10

That turned out great! I was going to leave a comment on your pic but your comments are turned off.

Polkadot79 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:50am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for letting me know...not sure how that happened. I love comments! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%