Cake Baking "odors"

Business By itsacake Updated 2 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm by loriemoms

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 19

Have any of you who have leased or purchased shop space had issues with the landlords/sellers refusing you the space because of potential; "odors" from your business?

I had one retail condo (that was next to McDonalds!) tell me they wouldn't allow my use because of the "smells" associated with baking. I just put in an offer on a commercial condo in an industrial area and they seem to have issues with it as well. (Perhaps because the next unit over is a law office?) They have a deli and a cafe on site and used to have a Japanese/sushi restaurant, so I don't understand why the smell of cake is even a issue.

I plan to have Deluxe ovens which don't require venting to the outside and since the complex is all electric there is no gas stove to vent, so I'm looking for what to tell these people that will reassure them so they will let me have the space.

Any suggestions?

18 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 19

Yeah, one place I tried to rent had similar issuesicon_sad.gif I'll never understand.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 19

hmmm...afraid it will be SOOOO distracting they can't work? that they'll all come running and buy and then gain mongo pounds?

---

ODD, truly odd.

the only bad smell i can think of is a dumpster full of eggs shells.

other than that -- just plan torture from all the good smells!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 19

Who doesn't like the smell of cake? icon_confused.gif

When I was in the discussion stage of leasing my space, this topic came up, but it came up from US .... WE asked THEM if they would rent to any food places that generated odd smells (korean restaurant, just for an example) because we didn't want odd food smells coming into our place and getting into the cake and icings (whether they would or not, who wants to work around smelling "weird" stuff all day?)

But cake? oh pul-lease!!

So flat out ask them, "What kind of smells have you concerned? 'Coz I've never heard of something asking, "What stinks!!! Are you baking a CAKE!!!???" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I mean it's not like you're deep frying fish! icon_rolleyes.gif

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 19

i'm just a hobby baker, so luckily i don't have to deal with any of that...yet ::fingers crossed::...but my dad always has issues with smell when I bake. he'll start with "turn the f'in exhaust fan on all i smell is cookies and cake!". my response, "uhh why are you complaining there are people who spend hundreds of dollars to get their homes to smell like this and I'm doing it for free, plus there's a kick back...cookies/cake!"

like indydebi said "who doesn't like the smell of cake?"

TOMAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TOMAY Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 19

The only thing that I can think about leaving a pungent odor is yeast but thats not as bad as a Mc Donalds , and you do not use in in baking cakes oh well , you could offer to have the place stripped of odors by a cleaning company but I would try to find another place, sorry

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 19

I've never heard of some people who spend hundreds of dollars for their house to smell like cake.

cakeychick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeychick Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 19

I have a friend who buys cake scented candles. They cost her a fortune and she gats mad when she comes over because my house smells like that when I am baking. I don't know about hundreds of dollars, but she pays enough to make her house smell that way.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:55pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

I've never heard of some people who spend hundreds of dollars for their house to smell like cake.

I buy candles scented like vanilla, cinnamon, apples, french vanilla creme, etc.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 19

hundreds of dollars for candles?

sure

shop at yankee candle shop

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRylan

icon_confused.gif Wow, you've never heard of scented candles? You know the ones that not only smell like flowers, but cake, cookies, apple pie, and are also a multi-billion dollar a year industry. wow x

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

icon_confused.gif Wow, you've never heard of scented candles? You know the ones that not only smell like flowers, but cake, cookies, apple pie, and are also a multi-billion dollar a year industry. wow x

Who said I haven't? Of course I have.

I just have never heard of anyone who would spend hundreds of dollars to make their house particularly smell like cake.

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:45am
post #13 of 19

Double post. WOW.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAY

The only thing that I can think about leaving a pungent odor is yeast but thats not as bad as a Mc Donalds , and you do not use in in baking cakes oh well , you could offer to have the place stripped of odors by a cleaning company but I would try to find another place, sorry

What's hilarious about fast food "smells" is that they are chemically engineered in a factory. It even effects that taste (as read in "Fast Food Nation"). Now to me, that's what's ODD.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:40am
post #15 of 19

the grease trap can get REALLLLY STINKY if not maintained properly...i mean it smells like a sewer......

i had to close the shop once when they had to work on mine....other than that i can't imagine.....

it does drive the peeps at the tanning salon and dr's office to madness the days i bake....cause it smells so yummy, and i don't sell small lil treats to eat...awwww.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:51pm
post #16 of 19

Wow! I didn't get any notice that anyone had posted to the thread. Thanks everyone for your answers!

I'm supposed to hear whether my offer is accepted on Monday. They were going to send me questions about venting and such, but didn't. Now the realtor says the questions were "pretty standard" and he thinks what he told them satisfied them--that I'm not high volume and I don't have to vent the ovens to outside.

Littlecake, I hadn't thought about the grease trap. I heard you can add Microbes (weekly or monthly) and it cuts down on how often you have to clean and also on the smell. Supposed to save money on cleaning. I was planning to try that in any case. I don't smell the grease trap where I rent, maybe because it gets cleaned really, really frequently and it is very small. I will research this.

I too, will not have little things they can come and get, I will be baking to order, but I could take my neighbors frequent sample (how to get rid of cake tops and uneven pieces of things) so they feel compelled to order cakes from time to time or Friday treats for the office..... icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:53pm
post #17 of 19

I would think it's more that the other food places are concerned that the yummy smells coming from your business will take away their business.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 19

People can be so weird about real estate and 'the rules'.

This is similar kinda--this one lady aluminum sided her Victorian home in siding that looked identical to the wood that was on there previously--maintaining the wood of course costs a ton to paint and replace the wood--the aliminum looked the same and lasts a looooong tome without any maintenance--but the homeowners association wouldn't hear of it--had to be painted--so she had to remove the siding and replace the wood and paint it and she painted it a garish color scheme to screw with them.

icon_biggrin.gif I like her!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:55pm
post #19 of 19

That is an odd thing...although I have customers who complain about the smell of my house when they come in..they said it makes them hungry! hahaha!

Tell them all the neighbors can have free cake tops..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%