Help With Cake Batter!!!!!

Decorating By GL79 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm by GL79

GL79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I'm making a tiered cake next weekend, a 16x16, 12X12 & 8X8, using DH cake mix. If I make lets say 3 boxes and only used 1/2 to fill one pan. is it ok to use the remaining mix after the it's been sitting for over 40 min. This is my first time making a tiered cake and it's for a family member who is 12 hours away, so I have to make one cake layer at a time at their home. Is it also ok to bake the 8x8 and a 12X12 at the same time? Thanks for your advice.

4 replies
singinglark Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:17pm
post #2 of 5

I made a tiered cake this week - 10x10x2 (x2); 8x8x2 (x2) and 6x6x2 (x2)...I baked one of each two nights in a row. The first night I had leftover cake batter (from a mix) so I refrigerated it and then whipped it in to one of my batches the next night...it worked perfectly. Not sure if that is cool or not but worked for me!

leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

Of course you can hold batter. No bakery in the country could survive unless they mixed up huge batches of batter and baked it off as needed.

GL79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks Leah & smginglark, the reason that I asked is because I've been told that the batter should be baked immediatly after mixing. I've used the batter that's been sitting over 30 minutes but they were for sheet cakes that i've made or family. But since this time it's a stacked cake I was wondering if that was going to be a problem.

GL79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Leah & smginglark, the reason that I asked is because I've been told that the batter should be baked immediatly after mixing. I've used the batter that's been sitting over 30 minutes but they were for sheet cakes that i've made or family. But since this time it's a stacked cake I was wondering if that was going to be a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%