Stacking 3 Or More Layers

Decorating By sharonk Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm by sharonk

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 12

icon_cry.gif Is there a trick to stacking three or more layers, (not tiers) because I have tried two cakes, one with three layers and the other with four and both of them sagged more and more each hour. They looked great after I covered in buttercream, I chilled them in the frige for several hours, but after the fondant went they they began sagging and bulging. I put dowels in one thinking that might help, but it didn't. icon_cry.gif What am I doing wrong?

11 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 12

what is the filling? it might not be up to the job, or it might be too thick a layer.
what type of cake is it? i belive some, like angel food cake, can not support the weight of the fondant.
what is the height of the tier? if it is coming out high, like 6 inches, it might be you need proper supports, boards and dowels, inside.
xx

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 12

Also, are you piping a stiffened buttercream dam for your filling?

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 12

Both were an altered cake mix cake and I used buttercream for filling, with a stiff buttercream dam. On one cake the layers were about 1 and a half inches and the other maybe closer to 2". One cake was over six inches tall.

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 12

Both were an altered cake mix cake and I used buttercream for filling, with a stiff buttercream dam. On one cake the layers were about 1 and a half inches and the other maybe closer to 2". One cake was over six inches tall.

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 12

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 12

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 12

Sorry for repeats. My computer seemed to be frozen.

tastyart Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 12

That is a pretty tall cake. Some decorators recommend supporting every 4".

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks for your help. So a cardboard circle every four inches?

tastyart Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:47pm
post #11 of 12

cardboard and the support dowels.

sharonk Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:59pm
post #12 of 12

I'll give it a try. Thanks again for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%