Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm by kmdrysdale

kmdrysdale Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 9

I am working on a cake and having some small issues.

It is a round 9in x 3in cake with lime green base fondant and i put a white ribbon border around it at the bottom with Hot pink dasiy all around on the white in a pattern 1 big and 3 small all around. and the topper is a high heel shoe (white with hot pink liner)

Now to the issue When i was putting the border on my 18 month old bumb me and the green fondant tore and now what do i to hide it? It tore right above the border in 2 spots about 4 in apart. So how can i hide this with out it looking like it is over crowded? Please help this is fr a 12 year old birthday and i want her to just love it. I am still new and very much learning.

8 replies
brincess_b Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 9

make that bit the back - seriously, it how most people do it! the front will still look great, they hopefully wont pay much attention to the back!
this will work best if the fondant hasnt started to set - rubbing some crisco (a tiny bit) over the seams, can help them to blend together a bit better - although it will/ may stay shiney.
another good idea would be to make a happy birthday plaque - preferably with gumpaste, so it dries, or just fondant covered cardboard.

tastyart Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 9

You can also mix some BC to match the color of the fondant and "spackle" it. If the color matches it should patch great.

kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:54pm
post #4 of 9

Yes, the plaque idea is good or just put a few more daisies there. Make it look like a triangle sort of thing up the side just enough to hide that flaw.

GL79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 9

Someone in the forum gave a good tip but I don't know if it will work. She said that she melted a little bit of the fondant in the micro and brushed it over the cracks. Try it and if that doesn't work then cover it with more daisies.

kmdrysdale Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 9

I was waiting and waiting lol and got to calm down a bit and i thought of adding some dasiy so i will post the good pic right away. It did turn out great. I thinkicon_smile.gif

jaybug Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 9

Great save! Turned out very pretty! thumbs_up.gif

MyDiwa Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:06pm
post #8 of 9

See - THAT'S why the bump happened. It turned out so much prettier than the original plan right?!

kmdrysdale Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #9 of 9

I was just stopping before cause i was chicken to try lol but this made me try lol! I am very happy with how it turned out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%