Just Wondering What You Would Charge For This Cake.

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 7:52am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 4

Details are with the photo. It is the spongebob cake in my pics. Would upload it but it just doesn't seem to be cooperating with me.

Just so you know the bottom cake is a 16 in square and the tube is a 12 in round.

I did this one for my grand daughter but just trying to get ideas of what to charge for it if I were to sell one.

Any ideas?

TIA

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

first of all, you cant legally sell that because he is a licensed character. a lot of people do though...
are the cakes just single layers? so with serving about 85 (im not convinced i worked that out right tho!) wedding portions, which at a very cheap $2 per serving price for bc is $170 (party sized = 60 servings = $120). thats not charging for the RKT work, you would need to be adding that in too.
but you need to sit down and figure out your own costs - ingedients, power, little bits like kitchen roll and cake boards, and a price for your time, and what similar cakes go for in your area.
xx

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:35am
post #3 of 4

Well I have seen sponge "figure" toys not called spongebob on the market. Basically knock offs so we will pretend that this is SpongeJon icon_smile.gif

So please let me have some figures. I have no idea how to figure something with a RKT.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:52am
post #4 of 4

I got the Cake Boss program and it's wonderful for doing all the thinking for you.

I just set up a base cost for all things (in the Recipe section - making a single cake (flour, eggs, etc.), fondant cost per pound, making BC, printed images, etc.) then give it a value per client (I need 3 single cakes, so I would put 3 next to the single cake 'recipe' on the order). I then put things like the cake boards and boxes in "Add Ins".

Also, put a $/hour amount for your labour costs and stick to that. Don't change it for each client. And don't underestimate the value of your time (it's a talent you're giving them). Put in the number of hours worked (or anticipated work if you're giving the client a rough estimate - and tell them it's a cost estimate, not final cost).

In the Order screen is where you can give them a discount (if you want to), not on the original pricing. You can also add in delivery costs here, too. There's a space for that.

If you're doing this more and more often (like I am beginning to), then definitely spend the $100 to get this (minus 10% if you're a CC member, which you are).

(And I don't even work for Cake Boss!)

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%