Gift Box Cake Size?? Anyone With Experience Please Help.

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm by ajmccray

ajmccray Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a gift/hat box cake for my aunt's 60th birthday next weekend. I am going to be icing it in buttercream and doing fondant accents on the cake. I have thoroughly researched this and have decided to do a styrofoam lid covered in fondant and dowel to make it open with tissue paper. Here are my remaining questions:

To cover styrofoam with fondant, do I wet the styrofoam? Or is just laying it on there and seaming the edges enough?

Some people have said to stick the tissue paper in to let it dry but I don't think that will work b/c I would think it would just collapse. Should I just form it on the counter and let it dry?

Last, and truly the most important, what size of cake?? They are wanting about 35 servings. If I do a 2 layer 12 inch round that will yield 40 servings according to Wilton serving chart. How will that look? To be so wide and then about 4-5 inches tall? This is the part I'm most confused on. I don't know what to do to make it look right. I am open to round or square if anyone thinks one is easier/better than the other. I'm not concerned about too much cake since it's for my aunt so I am more concerned about it looking right.

Thanks so much in advance for any help or direction you can offer!!

Angela

3 replies
Mikel79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 4

Hi ajmccray!

All I can answer is in regards to the styrofoam question. I had a cake I did where I covered a styrofoam ball with fondant. All I did was put piping gel on the styrofoam ball with a small paintbrush. It stuck just fine.

Sorry, I could not answer any others....

HTH
=)

kakeladi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 4

.......do I wet the styrofoam?......
If you want the fondant to stick to the styro. To make it easier to remove fondant you can just put a light brushing of water on the fondant at the corners/edges.

........the tissue paper .... I would think it would just collapse. Should I just form it on the counter and let it dry..........
I have not done this but I agree w/your thinkingicon_smile.gif

........most important, what size of cake?? They are wanting about 35 servings. If I do a 2 layer 12 inch round that will yield 40 servings......

Those will be very good! sized pieces; of course it will depend on how the customer cuts it. Be sure to charge for 40 serves not just the 35 they want.

ajmccray Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you ladies for your help! Kakeladi, what serving chart do you use? Just curious if there's a better one than Wiltons b/c my people always tell me they have left overs and that's when I've made the servings they want!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%