How To Price A Topsy Turvy?

Decorating By maryj Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 7:40am by majka_ze

maryj Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 5

Bride would like a corpse bride cake, wedding is on halloween. She likes the third one on this page
Can it be done in buttercream(dose not want fondant) and how do you price something like this. I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Her colors are red, blue and black.

4 replies
majka_ze Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 5

My two cents:

Yes, it can be done in buttercream.

Problematic, but manageable parts:
1. Get the buttercream smooth enough. There is not much where you can cover mistakes.

2. Decide if you are comfortable enough to decorate stacked cake or stack decorated tiers or how far to decorate the tiers before stacking. All is workable, everything has own risks.

3. Decide if you use real ribbon or paint the ribbon (second and fourth/topmost tier). I would paint it - cover it with blue buttercream completely, let it crust or set in fridge, depending on your buttercream (crusting or non-crusting). Cover the parts, where it should stay blue with thin cardboard / parchment paper - whatever works best for you and give it a thin layer of black buttercream. The cardboard helps not only to keep the blue part free from black, but helps to give sharp edges.

The "swirls" on first/bottom and third tier can be piping, the "pearls" are, I suppose. The butterflies and dragon-flies can be silk ones. Some of the flowers can be made from buttercream. NOT the leaves - this has to be either fondant / gumpaste / modeling chocolate or silk again.

What about the topper? Bought, made from fondant / gumpaste?

As for pricing:
Make it simple as you can - calculate the price of the tiers from the biggest layer you need to bake, but tell the bride it feeds the number from the smallest or middle layer. Add the decorations and the extra work you need to throw in - topsy turvy is simply more work and in this case, for me to make it in buttercream "perfect", it is more work than fondant, too.

With fondant, you have perhaps more work when covering the tiers but not as much risk that you mess your finished or almost finished work. Smear and smudge here, thumbprint there icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your cake.

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 5

I like that cake, but stress as much as possble to the bride it may not have the EXACT same effect as the fondant. Some brides want only buttercream, pick a fondant design, & then are a little dissapointed that it doens't have the exact same look.

maryj Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 5

All excellent advice. Can the cakes be frosted in buttercream and then fondant black strips be added over the butter cream. Haven't worked much with fondant except for figures. The topper will be purchased, they are 6 inch plastic firgurines.

majka_ze Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:40am
post #5 of 5
Originally Posted by maryj

All excellent advice. Can the cakes be frosted in buttercream and then fondant black strips be added over the butter cream.

Yes, the stripes can be made this way and it would be easier. To be completely sure, I would test your buttercream / fondant combo. I don't know what recipe you use and there could be a problem with this - you need good layer of buttercream frosting to get the smooth look (more than you would give under fondant layer - in such case you would mostly only crumbcoat) The possible problems are sweating fondant (awful when using black) or the strips trying to slip down the cake. Next time you have buttercream and fondant at hand, frost either small cake pan (smallest you can find) or something similar with buttercream as you would on this cake and lay some fondant strips on it - as it would be on the cake. Let it overnight in the fridge, than take it out and let it a day or so on your counter. You will see how your buttercream and fondant behave. Try to take in the account the temperatures on the wedding venue.
The sliding down problem can be counteracted - anchor the strips on the top of the layer well (push the edge under the upper tier, cover with the beading, for the topmost tier make long strips and cover both sides at once, crossing the strips on top or make one long strip and the others anchor under these). The fondant strips would be thin and covered on top.

For me, this topsy turvy can be made by simply stacking the tiers (not the cutting out in the middle method). This would mean for me: Prepare the tiers, crumbcoat it, try stacking (to see ev. big problems, no need to set the layers on each other really, only to see how it works), frost and smooth the tiers, let it crust/set in fridge and stack them properly with support. Correct any imperfections in the frosting. Start the decorating with the fondant strips - push them on top in the buttercream (under the tier) if necessary - lightly and carefully.
Decorate with buttercream (the swirls, beading etc.).

Quote by @%username% on %date%