Sherbet Cake: Good Concept But I Need Some Advice

Baking By agentdorkfish Updated 3 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm by teddybr218

agentdorkfish Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

So, I was trying to think of some ideas for cakes. I had my nephew on my mind and he absolutely loves sherbet. So, I had this genius idea of dividing up cake batter and flavoring it by using lemon, orange, and lime flavored Jell-O. I tried it today and put the batter into ice-cream cones, alternating the flavors.

The taste was great, but I wasn't quite satisfied with the texture. Even though it was fully cooked, some parts felt gooey. I'm guessing from the gelatin.

What do you guys suggest? I used white cake mix and just followed the directions on the box. Should I had mixed up the gelatin first instead of just mixing it in with the batter? Should I just using flavoring instead of the Jell-O?

7 replies
7yyrt Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 8

I tried a strawberry one once, and had the same problem. I just figured I used too much Jello. IIRC, I used a small package in a normal sized cake mix.

agentdorkfish Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 8

Well, at least now I know I'm not alone. Next time, I'm going to use flavoring instead of Jell-O.

grama_j Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

That stuff goes a LONG way........ I just use MAYBE half a package....... you don't need much for the flavor.... but then add some color also....

amielyn Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 8

Has anyone tried adding Kool-aid powder? I have not tried it, but the thought occured to me you might be able to use that, and it should not affect the consistency since there is no gelatin.

jaybug Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 8

Kool aid powder would probably work good. I've used it in MMF and it was good. thumbs_up.gif

DefyGravity Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:23am
post #7 of 8
Originally Posted by agentdorkfish

Next time, I'm going to use flavoring instead of Jell-O.

This was going to be my suggestion. Using Kool Aid sounds like another good idea.

teddybr218 Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:10pm
post #8 of 8

The cake mix doctor has a recipe that is made with melted ice cream. I would think you could try sherbert also. you may want to give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%