Rolled Buttercream???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm by leah_s

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

Have you ever used Rolled Buttercream instead of Fondant on your cakes??? I seen a post somewhere talking about Rolled BC. Just curious. I'm sure the taste is 100% better than fondant, but does it cover nicely??

Thanks

5 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 6

I would like to know, too. bump....

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 6

I thought it was better than the MMF that I tried, I used it on all my fondant cakes, I really like it and it tastes almost like regular buttercream. I did have cracks and rips on my cakes but I think it is my lack of experience rather than the fondant.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 6

It does taste better but is very greasy and much harder to work with then fondant. It works very well for cookies but tends to tear when covering a cake.

CakeVision Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeVision Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 6

I have tried the rolled buttercream before. Like tiggy2, I found it to be greasy (shiny), difficult to work with, and does not paint well. I found that flavoring my mmf (fondant) when making works well...I just substituted another flavoring (lemon, orange, etc) for the vanilla that the recipe calls for and "yucky" fondant taste solved. I have a picture in my photos of a cake that I used rolled buttercream on the top tier and mmf (fondant) on the bottom tier. You can see the difference in the two finishes. The border and the top plaque are also rolled buttercream. The picture is the one I did for the Penguins Stanley Cup Win.

HTH,
Liz

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 6

I have to say that IMO, rolled bc is just about the nastiest food product ever devised. Impossible to work with (other than for cookies), looks and tastes like greasy fondant. Just use SatinIce fondant and all is good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%