Fondant Vs. Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By Mickey17 Updated 7 Jun 2013 , 5:42pm by melissajean07

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 26

So I think I am going to undertake my first RKT molded character. I want to do a standing elmo. (I am insane and fell in love with the elmo from the food network challenge) I know that Lauren used red modeling chocolate for her cake, but I have never made or used it before. I wondered if I could or should use fondant instead?

How do you determine which medium to use?

25 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 26

Well I beliueve modelling chocolate will have seams that will melt together, leaving no seams at all.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 26

I was wondering the same thing, where/how can you get/make modeling chocolate?? icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 26

Sorry about the typo, I meant believe*.

Anyways, you can buy modeling chocolate or make them yourself. It usually requires chocolate and corn syrup. Check out the recipe section.

MelissaMay Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 26

does anyone know how to color the chocolate?? Can your use gel color? Thanks!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 26

I would use the specially formulated Candy Color instead of gel colors. You can find the candy colors either at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I know that Country Kitchen Sweet Art also carries candy colors. I would think that GSA would have them as well.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 26

I love that you posted this. I love working with fondant, but nobody likes to eat it. Maybe one of these days I'll experiment.

Make sure you post the Elmo and let us know how it turned out!

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 26

I have never used modeling chocolate either. I want to try and maybe I will get some time soon to do so. I too have wondered how you determine what medium to use.

MelissaMay Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 26

Thanks Flowerpower, that helps. Is that oil based, like oil candy flavorings?

Shirlcantuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shirlcantuck Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 26

Is modeling chocolate the same as candy clay?

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 26

I think I might be able to help you guys a bit here. I recently returned from the ICES convention and took 2 hands-on classes (from Bronwen Weber and B. Keith Ryder) and 1 demo (from Mike McCarey) about modeling chocolate. It's my new obsession!

I'm sorry if this is considered a plug, but I recently blogged about it here: http://melcakewalk.blogspot.com/2009/08/magic-of-modeling-chocolate.html I'll be posting recipes there in the next couple of days, but there are also a lot of them online if you just do a quick search.

Yes, modeling chocolate is the same thing as candy clay.

I've read that you can use dust colors or gel colors to color the modeling chocolate, but that liquid colors are not recommended. I have not personally colored any chocolate yet, but will be doing it tonight. I'll post on my blog and here (if I remember) about how it goes.

alidpayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alidpayne Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 26

you can use any regular gel colors in the candy clay or modeling chocolate AFTER it is at its final stage (dough or fondant like) If you are going to use the oil based chocolate colors you should use them when you are melting the chocolate at the beginning...

MelissaMay Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 9:44pm
post #13 of 26

[quote="mkm25"]I think I might be able to help you guys a bit here. I recently returned from the ICES convention and took 2 hands-on classes (from Bronwen Weber and B. Keith Ryder) and 1 demo (from Mike McCarey) about modeling chocolate. It's my new obsession!

Thanks MKM25,
will be checking that blog!!! You are so lucky to have taken those classes...wish there were somecloser to me!!

mkm25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 26

Hello! I just finished making a post on my blog about modeling chocolate so I hope it helps answer some of your questions: http://melcakewalk.blogspot.com/2009/08/working-with-modeling-chocolate.html

There's also another post from a few days ago: http://melcakewalk.blogspot.com/2009/08/magic-of-modeling-chocolate.html

icon_biggrin.gif

MelissaMay Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #15 of 26

MkM25
Your work is beautiful, thanks for the modeling chocoloate "tutorial" I love your bouquet for the ICES convention. How did you learn how to do those beautiful flowers? I would love to try to do them!
Thanks!

mkm25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 26

MelissaMay, I love Nicholas Lodge's instructions for gum paste flowers. A lot of times, I read his directions, try them, and then adapt them to what works for me. As you play with the flowers, you'll see what you like and dislike. I am also working short on cash (I'm a full-time graduate student) so I make a lot of my own cutters, where possible. I just posted a tutorial on the gum paste calla lily on the blog and there's tulips from a few months ago (Feb or March 2009, I think). I'm working on tutorials for the rest of the flowers so check back in the future. icon_smile.gif

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:02pm
post #17 of 26

Can't you also use the Wilton colored chocolates that come in different colors?

mkm25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:06pm
post #18 of 26

tracey, I don't know about those. Candy melts by Wilton are different because they do not actually contain any cocoa butter.

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:22pm
post #19 of 26

I am so excited I found this thread in the forum!!! I was watching Cake Boss over the weekend and noticed that he uses modelling chocolate a lot! I have to make a cake with flowers for this coming weekend and wanted to attempt making a chocolate "bow" and some chocolate roses, but was scared to try. Thank you so much for all this info!!! I would love for this to work as it would seem to me that it would be a much tastier alternative to gumpaste!!!

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:36pm
post #20 of 26

Source: Cupcake Fun

Ingredients:
14 ounce pkg Candy Melts®
1/3 cup light corn syrup
Makes: 1 pound.

instructions
Melt Candy Melts® following package directions.

Add corn syrup and stir to blend.

Turn out mixture onto waxed paper and let set at room temperature to dry.

Wrap well and store at room temperature until needed.

Candy clay handles best if hardened overnight.

To Use

Candy clay will be very hard at the start; knead a small portion at a time until workable. If candy clay gets too soft, set aside at room temperature or refrigerate briefly. When rolling out candy clay, sprinkle work surface with cornstarch or cocoa (for cocoa clay) to prevent sticking; roll to approximately 1/8 in. thick.

To Tint

White candy clay may be tinted using Candy Color or Icing Color. Knead in color until well blended.

To Store

Prepared candy clay will last for several weeks at room temperature in an airtight container.

Special Hints
You can make dozens of differently shaped treats just by using any cutters from the many Wilton cookie cutter collections. Sports, holidays, seasons and much more from which to choose.

*Brand confectionery coating.

christinapp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christinapp Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:41pm
post #21 of 26

If modeling chocolate is the same as candy clay then you CAN use wilton's cany melts.

The recipe for wilton's candy clay calls for:
.14oz. bag of candy melts (light or dark cocoa)
.1/3 cup light corn syrup

Melt candy as directed on package. Stir in corn syrup and mix only until blended. Shape mixture onto a piece of waxed paper and let set at room temperature. Wrap well and store at room temperature until needed.
It handles best if hardened overnight.
When ready to use knead a small potion at a time. If it get too soft, set aside at room temperature or place in the fridge briefly.

mkm25 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:42pm
post #22 of 26

Awesome, thanks! You learn something new every day, right? icon_smile.gif

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 18 Aug 2009 , 5:55pm
post #23 of 26

Have any of you made roses out of the chocolate clay? Is it as easy to work with compared to gumpaste?

melissajean07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissajean07 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:27pm
post #24 of 26

AI know this is an older post but maybe someone is listening...also it may be a stupid question but I'm kinda new at fondant and such but can you roll out and cover a cake with modeling chocolate like you do fondant?

gmfcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmfcakes Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 4:41pm
post #25 of 26

You can cover them in modeling chocolate, you can even do half fondant and half modeling chocolate. Wicked goodies has great tutorials on her website and she covers her cakes in modeling chocolate.

here is the link: http://www.wickedgoodies.net/

HTH

melissajean07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissajean07 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 5:42pm
post #26 of 26

AAwesome!! Thanks a million!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%