Favorite Filling For Wasc (White Almond Sour Cream) Cake?

Baking By CakeInfatuation Updated 25 Sep 2015 , 8:57pm by -K8memphis

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:40am
post #1 of 23

I have a wedding cake for next weekend. The bride wants it iced in buttercream but never specified a filling. So... since it's a gift I want to be nice and do a little more than "just buttercream".

I don't want it sliding around so something that will be stable on an August day.

BUT I do want to know what your favorite filling is for WASC. Please help me figure this out!

22 replies
JoJo0855 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo0855 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:50am
post #2 of 23

I'd match the filling to the cake decorations ... for example, yellow roses/lemon filling. At least make sure colours don't clash!!

CakeInfatuation Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:58am
post #3 of 23
CakeInfatuation Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 23

Anyone?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:38am
post #5 of 23

I Love Raspberry filling in Wasc.

Here is my Recipe..

1-12 oz bag frozen Raspberries

2/3 cups water

1 cup sugar

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

1 Tablespoon Vanilla

1/3 cup cornstarch.

mix sugar & cornstarch in pot . Add water, lemon juice, & vanilla. heat over medium heat stirring constantly till thick. remove from heat and stir in thawed berries. Let cool before using as filling.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 6:51am
post #6 of 23

I too like rasberries...but how about strawberry filling? The WASC is super yummy you can pretty much use it with any filling. If you do not have time to make your filling, or choose not to, the sleeved fillings are very good and come in an assortment of flavors....

vcm_9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vcm_9 Posted 5 Aug 2009 , 9:49am
post #7 of 23

what about a white chocolate ganache??

Redmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redmama Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:01am
post #8 of 23

It doesnt seem too "wedding-ish" but I made a WASC cake for someone useing Nutella filling. It was AMAZING!

Inspired84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inspired84 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:13am
post #9 of 23

I'm also rlly interested in this - especially fillings that dont need to be in the fridge!

sparkledee3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkledee3 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 23

@JamieAnn On the raspberry filling recipe do you use sweetened or unsweetened raspberries? Thanks!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 6:15pm
post #11 of 23

My hands-down favorite is white-chocolate ganache with cream cheese whipped in, plus a spread of raspberry or strawberry filling (the fruit filling is directly on top of the cream filling).  Nutella is very popular, too, but expensive.

sparkledee3 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 23

MacsMom, Could you direct me towards a good white chocolate ganache cream cheese filling recipe? Have never made it before. I would like to stir the raspberry into the ganache since its going into cupcakes. Your filling sounds delicious!

MacsMom Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 23

I buy the white/vanilla almond bark at WalMart (Plymouth Pantry - blue wrapper, top shelf above chocolate chips). In a microwave safe bowl, break the squares apart--melt in microwave. Blend in 2 (8oz) packages of room temperature cream cheese (I warm the cream cheese in the microwave). Beat for several minutes... that's it!  

If I am not making it to taste like mock-cheesecake, I sweeten it by blending in powdered sugar and vanilla.

MacsMom Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 7:24pm
post #14 of 23

For filling cupcakes, you may want to add a little heavy whipping cream to thin it.

sparkledee3 Posted 6 Jul 2015 , 9:50pm
post #15 of 23

MacsMom, Thank you so much! Now to find a nice smooth buttercream recipe not too sweet! I'm new at all this. Or a cream cheese recipe that can stay at room temp for a few hours. I'll be all set. 

Saw so many recipes for WASC CAKE but not sure which one to use for cupcakes. 

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 9:36am
post #16 of 23

I like to put a thin layer of white chocolate ganache, then I mix some raspberry preserves with SMBC and put a layer over the ganache.  Then the cake is iced with SMBC.  I also sometimes add the preserves to the WASC.  One of my favorites.

sparkledee3 Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 5:18pm
post #17 of 23

Wondering what SMBC is... I'm guessing that the BC is Butter Cream. :)  Sounds delicious!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 8:37pm
post #18 of 23

i use four layers in each tier and the middle filling is strawberries encased in whipped cream then the other two layers are filled with lemon berry filling -- just a combination of lemon cream/curd and berry filling (i used to do one of each then just combined them)

then the kicker is grand marnier splash squirted or brushed on the baked cake layers -- a 'splash' is 3 parts simple syrup and 1 part grand marnier -- simple syrup is equal parts sugar and water boiled till sugar dissolves --

this is a memorable cake experience

the berry filling is whatever combination of strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries fresh frozen or both tossed in a pot cooked down with a peeled/cored granny smith apple per 12-16 ounces of fruit -- plus a little lemon a little sugar you don't need much -- when it all gets loose strain out the seeds and return to the pot -- cook this down until all the water is gone -- put a dab on a saucer and if it weeps keep cooking --

my lemon cream filling has extra butter in it -- i got the recipe from Pierre Hermes book but regular lemon curd will work fine but I'd only use homemade loaded with zest strained out

Best to you

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2015 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 23

sparkle, smbc is swiss meringue butter cream -- 

sparkledee3 Posted 8 Jul 2015 , 6:36am
post #20 of 23

Thanks K8Memphis

blueangel174 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueangel174 Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 4:21pm
post #21 of 23

I tried to send a private message to MacsMom, but there is an error on the site for the messages. Does anyone know if a cake needs to be refrigerated if it has MacsMom truffle filling in it?

Thanks,

Kelly

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 7:35pm
post #22 of 23

best filling for white cake, apricot jam.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 8:55pm
post #23 of 23

blueangel -- what's in it -- if it's the one in this thread in post #13 with the cream cheese and chocolate then yes must be kept in the fridge --

*Last edited by -K8memphis on 25 Sep 2015 , 8:57pm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%