When Stacking ..

Decorating By txsteph Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm by txsteph

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of 3

I do not know if anyone else has a problem with this or not, or if I am just missing a step somewhere .. BUT

When stacking cakes, how do you do it so that when you take them apart to serve, you do not have icing all over the bottom of the top tier cake board, and none left on top of the second tier. I had made a castle cake for my daughters birthday & after serving the top tier, I took off the cake board, and there was no icing left on the second tier, it all stuck to the bottom of the top tiers cake board. I did bottom cake .. iced with crusting BC, insert straws for support, put top tier on with cake board under it. It is not a big cake.

I have a cake for my girls softball team this Saturday & I am doing a round, with a half ball cake on top decorated like a softball, I do not want the round to have no icing on it when I take the cake board with softball on it off. How can I avoid this? Is it impossible to avoid? Should I just bring extra icing to quickly cover up the missing icing? Thanks for any help!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 3

This is a silly question, but you said you used a crusting icing ...... did you allow it to actually crust before setting the top tier on it? My icing is always dry-to-touch before I assemble.

Some folks sprinkle p.sugar on the cake before setting the next tier in place; some lay a circle of parchment paper.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 3

When I think about it, I might not have let it crust much before adding top tier. Parchment paper is a good idea. I use your BC recipe indy ( Love it soooo much too!!) so I will let it set up more before stacking. Thanks for the reply

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%