Inserting Gum Paste Flowers

Decorating By cakepassion Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 5:18am by JanH

cakepassion Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #1 of 4

I would like to know if it is safe to put gum paste flowers on wires into the cake.
Also, I have seen other ways to place flowers into the cake. They look like lollipop sticks or long picks. Can anyone tell me what is a safe way to insert gum paste flowers into the cake? Thank you very much for any help!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:45am
post #2 of 4

You can't put wire directly into the cake because it's not food safe. So some people use straws or hollow lollipop sticks or coffee stirs. You can also buy flower holders made to insert into the cake. I bought some recently and it was $2.48 for a dozen at Hobby Lobby...not too expensive and they held even the heaviest flowers with no problems.

Here's a picture of my test run.
You can see the flower holder in the cake...usually you would make sure it was hidden by the flowers icon_biggrin.gif that's why it was a test run.

Sugarflowers Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 4

Floral tape is one way to go. Never stick bare wires/ends into a cake. Your idea of taping them to lollipop sticks will work as long as the flowers are not too heavy.

Drinking straws inserted into the cake will give great support and prevent coctact with wires. It also makes for easier placement and removal of the flowers.

HTH

Michele

JanH Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:18am
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%