Help...i Might Have Screwed Up On Red/black Icing...

Decorating By lvspaisley Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:56am
post #1 of 14

Okay, so I suck at getting red icing red and black icing black. I made 12 cups of frosting and tinted it gray. Then I used a whole small jar of chefmaster black color (3 g) and some super black in it. I don't need it til tomorrow, so I made it early in hopes it might darken.

The red, I made 6 cups of frosting and used a whole small jar of Chefmaster red as above and some super red americolor. It's a bit darker than tomato soup.

Okay, so my question is, will this stuff BLEED onto the cake?? I am using the black in a zig zag border on the sides of a 12 inch 2 layer cake (it'll be a wrestling ring) and the red will go on the sides of that and maybe as a border around the edible image of WWE that I have...

I had some premade Wilton red, but I hate using it...but if it's going to bleed, I guess I have no choice. I think the black will be okay since it'll be on the sides only...what do you guys think??

ALSO, since I've made it 24 hours before I need it, I should "re-whip" it...what does that mean, just hit it with the hand mixer??

THANKS!

13 replies
katwomen1up Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:13pm
post #2 of 14

The should not bleed, but it's probably way too much color. If you have frosting left I would either add more or incorporate some of that red and black into more white. Your colors should be even darker now that they have sat. If they have a shine to them you have way too much food color in them. Don't make any mistakes, and make sure that the frosting on your cake has crusted and isnt' wet. To re mix all you'll need to do if it's a small amount is mix it back up with a spoon. Always mix your frosting back up if they've sat. HTH Good Luck

BJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 14

Tricks for Red and Black.
Black - always start with chocolate icing and add black coloring.
Black usually looks more grey than black until it sits. I test it by placing a small amount on a plate or a peice of waxed paper and let it site for about 20 minutes - it will darken alot and then you will see the color your icing will darken too. Adjust if needed. This way you see the icing color ahead of time.
Red - always start by coloring your icing pink and make it as pink as you can get it - THEN, start adding the red. A true red never looks red until it sits for a while. It always looked more orangey than red. Again, put a little shmear of it on something and let it sit for 20 minutes to see the true color. I make these difficult colors all the time and I get great results this way. Give it a try. thumbs_up.gif

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by katwomen1up

The should not bleed, but it's probably way too much color. If you have frosting left I would either add more or incorporate some of that red and black into more white. Your colors should be even darker now that they have sat. If they have a shine to them you have way too much food color in them. Don't make any mistakes, and make sure that the frosting on your cake has crusted and isnt' wet. To re mix all you'll need to do if it's a small amount is mix it back up with a spoon. Always mix your frosting back up if they've sat. HTH Good Luck




Thank you very much icon_smile.gif

They really aren't that much darker but I've had them in covered icing bowls...

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

Tricks for Red and Black.
Black - always start with chocolate icing and add black coloring.
Black usually looks more grey than black until it sits. I test it by placing a small amount on a plate or a peice of waxed paper and let it site for about 20 minutes - it will darken alot and then you will see the color your icing will darken too. Adjust if needed. This way you see the icing color ahead of time.
Red - always start by coloring your icing pink and make it as pink as you can get it - THEN, start adding the red. A true red never looks red until it sits for a while. It always looked more orangey than red. Again, put a little shmear of it on something and let it sit for 20 minutes to see the true color. I make these difficult colors all the time and I get great results this way. Give it a try. thumbs_up.gif




Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif I made the icing 16 hours ago and they haven't darkened really at all, but I've had them in covered icing bowls...so I took out a bit of each and put it on a paper plate...I'm hoping exposure to the air will darken it?

I made the icing gray first, then black...well, almost black I should say icon_wink.gif

The red: I colored it a deep pink first and then added red...<sigh> But alas, it's not much darker than tomato soup...definitely not the "red" of the Wilton pre-made which is what I was hoping for.

What kind of colors do you use? Wilton, ChefMaster, Americolor? I really appreciate your help. I always get really worried when someone says they want a cake with red & black LOL

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

Tricks for Red and Black.
Black - always start with chocolate icing and add black coloring.
Black usually looks more grey than black until it sits. I test it by placing a small amount on a plate or a peice of waxed paper and let it site for about 20 minutes - it will darken alot and then you will see the color your icing will darken too. Adjust if needed. This way you see the icing color ahead of time.
Red - always start by coloring your icing pink and make it as pink as you can get it - THEN, start adding the red. A true red never looks red until it sits for a while. It always looked more orangey than red. Again, put a little shmear of it on something and let it sit for 20 minutes to see the true color. I make these difficult colors all the time and I get great results this way. Give it a try. thumbs_up.gif




Thank you so much! icon_smile.gif I made the icing 16 hours ago and they haven't darkened really at all, but I've had them in covered icing bowls...so I took out a bit of each and put it on a paper plate...I'm hoping exposure to the air will darken it?

I made the icing gray first, then black...well, almost black I should say icon_wink.gif

The red: I colored it a deep pink first and then added red...<sigh> But alas, it's not much darker than tomato soup...definitely not the "red" of the Wilton pre-made which is what I was hoping for.

What kind of colors do you use? Wilton, ChefMaster, Americolor? I really appreciate your help. I always get really worried when someone says they want a cake with red & black LOL

OH! And I was going to start with chocolate, but the 10 year old does NOT like chocolate at all <bummer>

BJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 14

I use the paper plate method to see the true color too! Give it 20 minutes to sit - beleive me - you'll see a difference (but not if you stand there watching it - haha). The air will definately darken it! I use just the plain Wilton gels to color - others don't like them but they've done me good.

Loved the tomato soup reference - that's exactly the right description - icon_razz.gif
It'll darken up real nice....... thumbs_up.gif

tyty Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 14

To make red I use egg yellow first, then add super red and let it sit.

To make black, I start with chocolate if possible, add black color first, if it looks gray or greenish add a tiny bit of violet and let it sit.

sudie1 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 14

I'd really like to know what brands of colors you use, too. I have had real problems with the Wilton black bleeding in my buttercream. Any suggestions?

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:27pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ

I use the paper plate method to see the true color too! Give it 20 minutes to sit - beleive me - you'll see a difference (but not if you stand there watching it - haha). The air will definately darken it! I use just the plain Wilton gels to color - others don't like them but they've done me good.

Loved the tomato soup reference - that's exactly the right description - icon_razz.gif
It'll darken up real nice....... thumbs_up.gif




WOO HOO...when you say tomato soup sounds about right...then that makes mes less nervous LOL

Thank you so much. I'll let you know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

tyty Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 14

I threw out all the Wilton color and replaced it with Americolor.

sudie1 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:24pm
post #12 of 14

Does the black Americolor bleed with buttercream?

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:30pm
post #13 of 14

Okay, so it shouldn't bleed? I'm a little nervous since I used too much color, but going out and buying premade black Wilton will cost me a fortune to cover the sides of a 12 inch 2 layer cake...

Guess I just need some guidance...I would DIE if I ruined a 10 year old's birthday cake. I have had some out on a plate for about 2 hours and it hasn't bled onto the plate, but I bet that's totally different than on white buttercream yes?

Suggestions?

lvspaisley Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 14

<BUMP>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%