Fondant: This Dorkfish's Next Mission.

Decorating By agentdorkfish Updated 8 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm by ceshell

agentdorkfish Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 8

So, I have decided that I am going to dive into a fondant project. I have never tried before. But I'm making my cousin a Twilight birthday cake, and I really want a nice, smooth appearance.

So, spread your wisdom on to me! What is the best frosting to use under fondant? How do you get fondant pieces to stick to fondant? Can you pipe frosting on top of fondant?

Also, I was going to try this fondant recipe because it sounds simple for me to do. Would this recipe harden like other fondants? How could I make this a chocolate fondant?

Sorry for all the questions! I've searched the site for answers but wasn't feeling confident. You guys have been amazing with my past questions, so I figured I'd see what wise words and advice you could offer me! Thanks!

7 replies
SouthernSugar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:19am
post #2 of 8

I don't know what your regular buttercream is but you can use most of them under fondant. I use either a crusting buttercream or IMBC. I have heard that the whipped icings are a little too soft to hold up under fondant.

To stick fondant to findant just use a little bit of water. I just apply it with a small paintbrush. And yes, you can pipe on top of fondant.

I can't help you on the fondant recipe you are using, I despise making fondant so I just buy it but I am sure someone who has used the MMF will chime in soon. HTH

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:48am
post #3 of 8

I've never tried that recipe, but the one I use is simple too...http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

To stick fondant to fondant, you can use water or you can dissolve a little piece of fondant in water and use that, or mix tylose and water.

To make your fondant chocolate, replace some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder.

agentdorkfish Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the replies! I have another question. I've read that you can't refrigerate a cake with fondant. But I'm going to have to make the cake in advance. At least a day ahead. How do I need to store it? I have a cardboard cake box that I was planning on using. Is this ok? And just keep it at room temperature?

I'm getting nervous about fondant again. Haha! I might just stick to what I know a bit about.. buttercream.

cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 8

You can refrigerate fondant, you just need to take it out of fridge and remember to not touch ANY of the fondant until it comes to room temperature. But unless you have fillings that need to be refrigerated, you can leave the cake in the box at room temp. HTH

agentdorkfish Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks! I'm still not sure if I'm going to try it.. a bit nervous about it!

But I am going to try to make some fondant because I want to make flowers for a wedding cake. I'm going to try to cut out the flowers using a knife because I don't have any other tools to use! Can you "paint" fondant with food coloring? All I have is the liquid and gel kind.

agentdorkfish Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 1:20pm
post #7 of 8

I'm bumping my topic instead of posting a new one. I still need to know if you can paint fondant with gel food coloring?

And if I don't cover the cake with fondant, and just use buttercream, can I still use fondant for decorations?

ceshell Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 11:20pm
post #8 of 8

Yes you can paint fondant with gel food coloring, although it works better if you dilute your gel with a bit of strong clear alcohol (I use Everclear but if you can't get that, use strong (but cheap!) vodka, or lemon extract.) You use alcohol so that the liquid will evaporate rather than absorbing into your fondant and turning it into goo.

You can still use fondant for deco's on a buttercream cake. Just stick em on. If your bc has crusted, you can stick em on with a dab of fresh bc or royal icing.

FWIW I prefer Rhonda's MMF recipe (recipes section here) just cuz the added ingredients make it easier to work with. Michele Foster's Fondant refrigerates really well but it's slightly more complicated to make than "nuke and dump"; if you're that nervous, stick with plain old mmf. Here's my #1 tip about MMF: if it is still sticky, it needs more powdered sugar! Took me forever to realize that icon_rolleyes.gif. It really isn't that hard. Try it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%