Date Held With Deposit, But...

Business By kellertur Updated 6 Aug 2009 , 3:24am by jules5000

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #1 of 43

I've recieved a signed Contract with deposit to hold the date, but the couple never called for a consult. The mother of the groom set this up saying the bride & groom were busy with a new baby and would be in touch. In my contract (signed when a deposit is made to hold date), it states that 3 weeks before the wedding, 50% of the final balance is due). There is no final balance, no quote or even any info regarding the cake beyond serving amount. (Let me point out, the mother of the groom mailed me a signed copy along with a check without even meeting me).

I've sent a reminder email, but never heard back... Can I assume there will be no cake? Does this mean that if they don't call or meet with me prior to this first deadline, I don't have to even make a cake for them? Is it rude for me not to call and ask? What if they call 2 weeks before the wedding expecting a cake? What's the best way (respectful) to explain this...?

Personally, I'd like to assume this means I won't be doing the cake, because I'm very busy next month with several other (paid) weddings.

Thank you.

42 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #2 of 43

I would definitely call them but if stuff isn't cleared up by the first deadline, than no cake....

kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 43

I was afraid of being pushy... there are only 2 days left. Would you still call?

kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:07am
post #4 of 43

I was afraid of being pushy... there are only a few days left. Would you still call? icon_redface.gif

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:08am
post #5 of 43

Maybe the Mother of the Groom forgot? Or wasn't clear to the couple about when they should contact you. I would call and explain. (Maybe the couple thought MOG paid for the deposit so it's taken care of? Weird as that may seem, they might just have figured she picked out a design while she was at it.) I could speculate forever!

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:09am
post #6 of 43

Yes, call. You need to give them every opportunity to book this cake. I would call specifically say that everything needs to be organized and paid for by X date, or no cake. If they aren't there, leave a message. This way, if they call a week later, you can say you gave them a courtesy phone call as well as have this policy outlined in your contract.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:13am
post #7 of 43

Yeah once they have paid a deposit, I do try to give them every chance to have their cake. I've even had occasional date changes and if my schedule allows, I'll let them do it (depending on the circumstances of course, and the customer).

But if you call and email and can't get in touch, and the dates on the contract go by, you'll have no choice but to X them off your calendar, I guess. I don't know how they could forget! I guess something could have fallen through, too, on the wedding and they didn't feel like calling you back.

kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #8 of 43

My fear is that this could be seen as harassment to some people.
I sent an email a week ago. So, eventhough I sent an email with all the info as a courtesy, I should also call? The MOG has really only be reached by email, or atleast that's the only way I've been able to have a "conversation". I've left messages in the past, only to get email responses. She had me mail the contract to her, then sent it back signed with a check. There is no cake order form, there has been no meeting.
And I've been told that the design will be up to the couple, not the MOG, when I tried to get info on what they might like.

This way of doing things is new to me... it's not very straight forward and lots of guess work.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:25am
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

My fear is that this could be seen as harassment to some people.
I sent an email a week ago. So, eventhough I sent an email with all the info as a courtesy, I should also call? The MOG has really only be reached by email, or atleast that's the only way I've been able to have a "conversation". I've left messages in the past, only to get email responses. She had me mail the contract to her, then sent it back signed with a check. There is no cake order form, there has been no meeting.
And I've been told that the design will be up to the couple, not the MOG, when I tried to get info on what they might like.

This way of doing things is new to me... it's not very straight forward and lots of guess work.

I don't mind emailing but I have learned the hard way to get a phone number because sometimes you have to get directly ahold of a customer! I have forgotten WAY too many times.

I never email contracts though without getting ALL of the info...design, flavors, venue, etc...and I have all that on the contract.

kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #10 of 43

I do have her phone number. I actually regular mailed it. She was so quick to "hold that date" and make sure, she sent the money and contract back. I mailed the contract with the understanding they were going to look it over before the consult, so they had a firm understanding of it when they came. I didn't expect to recieve a check so soon.

I just sent a reminder email... although I feel like a jerk. icon_redface.gif

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

I do have her phone number. I actually regular mailed it. She was so quick to "hold that date" and make sure, she sent the money and contract back. I mailed the contract with the understanding they were going to look it over before the consult, so they had a firm understanding of it when they came. I didn't expect to recieve a check so soon.

I just sent a reminder email... although I feel like a jerk. icon_redface.gif

Aww no don't feel like a jerk....you have to know what's going on, and they need to remember their cake. I always send reminder emails for payment and stuff, and most people are totally fine with it.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:53am
post #12 of 43

Don't feel like a jerk, this could also be seen as you covering your bases in case you do end up cancelling the order. If you have a paper trail of you contacting them you'll have dates to refer to when they say that you didn't give them a chance to pay.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 43

no cake.

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 43

I don't think anyone could stretch you trying to tie up loose ends into harassment. If you don't make an effort to contact the customer when you have their phone number, you're going to get some p.o.'d people who will want to know why you didn't call them!

kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 43

Thanks, I'll call today. I did send several email reminders, since this person never answers their phone, but I'll leave a message.

I do keep all my email correspondences for any potential issues and log phone calls or if I left a message. I stick it right into their file.

I am an assertive person, however since I don't like high pressure situations or agressive people, I wasn't calling to remind them a dozen times. I figured I reminded them a few times, and they have the paperwork and should have the wedding date marked on the calendar. I had sent an email stating the dates that each payment were due, just so they had a paper copy.

I guess I was wrong?

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:11pm
post #16 of 43

It is not harrassment to attempt to fulfill your end of the contract. Call them and email them everyday until your deadline. After the deadline has passed, emails them a "sorry- but- no-cake-for-you" email

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 43

It is not harrassment to attempt to fulfill your end of the contract. Call them and email them everyday until your deadline. After the deadline has passed, emails them a "sorry- but- no-cake-for-you" email

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

Exactly...

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:44pm
post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficerMorgan

Yes, call. You need to give them every opportunity to book this cake. I would call specifically say that everything needs to be organized and paid for by X date, or no cake. If they aren't there, leave a message. This way, if they call a week later, you can say you gave them a courtesy phone call as well as have this policy outlined in your contract.

Yeppers, ditto.

OfficerMorgan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OfficerMorgan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 43

I don't understand why you would think this was harassment, or that you are a jerk for calling?

Some people don't check their email everyday. And also, it can be easier to communicate by a phone call. Sending an email, and then giving a follow up phone call to ensure they don't lose a deposit on something is not harassment. And would not in anyway implicate you as being a jerk.

That reasoning confuses me...

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #21 of 43

No, you are not being a jerk. I think what you are doing is quite considerate actually. Someone could easily not remind the client and hold on to the deposit after the deadline. If I were the customer I would be appreciative, it might of slipped their minds if they are busy planning other stuff for the wedding

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:08pm
post #22 of 43

I agree with the others. If you try to reach them and you leave a message and you have emailed them You have done what you can do, but you would lose money to make the cake and hoped they picked it up. If they are irresponible to not stay in contact after you have made at least 2 attempts then the problem and blame lie on their end. make sure that you save a record of the email you sent as proof and also on some answeringmachines there is a way to make a memo and you push it as you start to leave a message for them and then you also have proof that you called and left a message. YOu are not harassing them.

You know the sad part of it is that if they gave you money to hold the date, but haven't given you anymore money and you don't want to make the cake until hearing from them. they may have given money to someone else to do a cake and are too embarrassed as they should be to tell you. I hope this hasn't happened, but if you do two attempts to get ahold of them and don't hear you will have done what you can.

nadine_n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadine_n Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #23 of 43

I would guess that the wedding has been cancelled. This was arranged by the groom's mother because the couple was busy with the new baby. It seems they may have not been the ones who wanted the marriage. But I could be wrong...

I cancelled a wedding, thankfully it was early enough that the only things booked were the reception hall and my church. Those were two of the hardest phone calls that I ever had to make. I could easily understand (but not condone - it would be irresponsible) not making those calls. It was like saying it out loud made it real. I could barely hold back the tears.

kellertur Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:20pm
post #24 of 43

Well, after emailing and leaving a voice message I received an email back. They applogized for the couple not reaching me (she never gave me their info to begin with, but did leave his number this time). She said "they've been busy" and she's been "out of town", BUT they still want my cake.

Ok, I'm going to probably get my A$$ handed to me here, but the deadline for first payment is tomorrow. I've decided to extend the deadline, BUT said I would NOT be making the cake if things are not finalized in one week. I realize this is not something anyone else here would do, but I buckled. I did give them a FINAL date and said I would not make the cake if it passes. Payment MUST be made before I even buy ingredients.

Well, my prices just went up... they never got a quote so I decided (for my trouble) to charge more. I do know they are opulent, so if they are willing to waste my time, I'm willing to increase my price. icon_wink.gif

I'm interested to see what happens when I call the couple tonight. icon_confused.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #25 of 43

Perfect K2! No a$$ handing from me, I probably would have done the same thing!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 7:56pm
post #26 of 43

Good luck, You are not being hardnosed in any way to give them a final date and stick to it.

kellertur Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #27 of 43

I'm not sure what to think at this point... I did leave a message with the son, but have not heard back after 2 days. I did mention in the message things had to be finalized within 1 week or I couldn't make the cake.

I'd like to say: "If you don't want the cake, no problem, but let me know so I can take my husband and daughter to the waterpark and have a BLAST, but PLEASE don't waste my time and energy!"

I'd honestly be fine with them not buying a cake from me, but I absolutely HATE loose ends and I HATE feeling/being blown off, and my time wasted. I have three other wedding cakes to do around this one, and frankly the uncertainty of "am I, or aren't I" is bleeding into my time with my husband and daughter (and that pi$$es me off the most.) At this point, I think I've been abudantly clear on what needs to be done... now it's up to them to have some respect and take some direct action (one way or the other).

I'm sorry to vent, it just annoys me when you've given someone every out, yet they still say they want YOUR cake, but keep blowing off your request to tie things together. icon_confused.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:49pm
post #28 of 43

At this point I don't think you do anything until the deadline passes. No more phone calls or emails. It is up to them to contact you, at this point.

If the deadline passes without contact you can say "sorry no cake and no refund" and not feel bad about it. They have had more than enough chances to uphold their end of the deal.

As far as your timeline for completing all the cakes, I would just plan like you are definitely making it and then if you end up not doing the cake then it's extra time you will have. You might not be able to plan a trip to the waterpark, but maybe you can plan a smaller outing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:57pm
post #29 of 43

I'm not sure where you are with the deadlines but another idea is to just do a real simple cake now. Do your easiest one. Tell them the time is spent for doing a custon job--they can have pink or yellow flowers--y'know whatever's easiest for you.

A thought for you.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 3:17pm
post #30 of 43

I would call, email and also send a letter with required signature. This way you CYA. If they do not respond then you have made every attempt to contact them. You cant expect to do a cake when there is no information and they cant bother to pay you. Atleast if you send the letter registered mail you got something to back you up if the case ends up in court for some reason. Always cya!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%