Any Pet Owners?

Lounge By Rylan Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 1:19pm by MissRobin

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 34

Do you regularly clean your dog's anal glands? Is this something you should just let your vet do?

33 replies
Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:54am
post #2 of 34

Gee Rylan that is an odd question but I will answer it. No, I don't do my dogs anal glands because if you don't do it correctly you can really injure your dog. I have my vet do it.

Many people don't even realize that this has to be done on a regular basis to certain breeds of dogs. I know of two people that did not have this done and their dogs became so severely ill that they almost lost the animal. Both dogs were on medication for months and did pull through but were very, very sick.

We have a little 13 pound miniature red poodle named Tucker.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 34

I had never even heard of it until my mom's dog (a super miniature dauchsund) went to the groomers to have her nails clipped and the groomer informed my mom that her glands were VERY engorged and that she went ahead and emptied them, and charged my mom like an extra 5 bucks or something..........she had never heard of it either! I wonder why it's not more widely known?

Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 34

I'm glad both of you know about this because most people I asked about doesn't. Peridot, how often do you bring your dog to get his anal glands cleaned?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 34

That is exactly the reason I wouldn't want to be a dog groomer icon_biggrin.gif

The closest I've gotten to doing something gross like that was when I bought a fish who had a parasite. I had to pull the parasite out of the fish's anus with a pair of tweezers.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 34

Again, I get the groomer to do it - it's a standard procedure for them. They charge an extra $10 or so, which is well worth it, IMO.

Our dog had an abcess in one of her anal glands a couple of years ago and was really miserable for a few days. It did burst out of the skin, rather than internally, which is what the vet was concerned about (sorry if TMI!), which the vet said saved us $500 in surgery fees. As it was, a course of antibiotics sorted her out in a few days. We have had her glands 'done' regularly since then!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 34

Wow
I didn't even know about this.
I had a dog for 15 years and just got a new puppy (didn't know she was a puppy).

Is this something a vet would regularly check for when they go for their annual??

Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:07pm
post #8 of 34

Yes, I just found out about it too. I've had my dog for 2 years now and didn't know anything about it. When I regularly visit the vet, she mentions that she cleans it (didn't pay attention, I thought she just cleans the butt). The other day, I was browsing online and saw this video of a woman cleaning it and suggested that it had to be done regularly. She also mentions that it can cause serious health problems if not done on a regular basis. It's been a while since the vet mentioned that she cleaned it so I came to the vet that very same day.

I think it is more than an annual thing. The pet nurse suggested it had to be done every month.

Do you all take your dog every month?

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 34

I didn't know about this until I saw Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs do this in a segment...sure am glad I DON"T own a dog!

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 34

Is this for all breeds of dog or just the smaller ones?

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 34

I think it is for all dogs, from what the groomer said...

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 34

All dogs have anal glands but the larger dogs usually don't have a problem with this. It is your smaller breeds that seem to have the issues. With my first poodle the lady that I bought him from was the breeder and groomer and she had show dogs and showed her dogs. She did a fantastic job of grooming and did the anal glands as part of the grooming. It was from her that I found out about the glands.

Now years later with my 2nd poodle, I don't have a fantastic groomer like I did with the first. Most groomers don't do anal glands - be sure to ask - don't assume. There are not a whole lot of good groomers in the town where I now live so I have to be happy with what I have. Like I said previously I have my vet take care of it and then also have his ear hair removed at the same appt cause my groomer does not do a great job with ear hair removal either. Poodles and other dogs with long ears have the tendency to get ear infections if the ear hair is not kept pulled. Because of the long flowing, floppy ears air does not get into that area and into the canal and thus they are more prone to ear infections. I am very fussy about the care and grooming of my dog as I don't want problems that can be avoided with a little maintenance.

Unfortunately my little dog seems to have his anal glands fill up faster then some so I have it done about every two months. You can also feel them when they get very full. My dog does not do the biting of the butt or scooting on the floor thing so I check him or just take him in every two months. It is cheaper to have it done on a regular basis then run into problems and have a big vet bill.

When taking your dog in for their annual shots and check up I would think that a good vet would check that area and if it needed to be taken care of they would tell you or if it was something that you needed to do on a frequent basis they would also tell you that. I would ask my vet if I had concerns or questions about this.

Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 6:56pm
post #13 of 34

Peridot, thanks for the info. Good thing my insurance requires twice a year comprehensive check up, so I don't run to any problems.

Btw, how can you tell if they are full?

Also, does anyone in here have dogs that have allergies?

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 34

We just found out this spring that our lab has seasonal allergies.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #15 of 34

My Mom's lab who is now 15 went through a long time span where he had problems with his anal glands. Initially the vet did clean them several times, he also suggested adding a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin to his daily diet. We mixed it with a little bit of oatmeal and gave it to him as a daily treat (which he loved!) It's now been years that we haven't had any issues.. all thanks to the pumpkin! You might want to try it!

Rylan Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 11:43pm
post #16 of 34

That sounds pumpkinlicious. I should try that.

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:25am
post #17 of 34

Rylan, what company did you go through for pet insurance? We just got a doggie of our own and I was wondering about looking into more information on it!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:33am
post #18 of 34

Ummm..me do it...YUCK! No way,no how.

I have a golden retriever and have never drained his anal glands. I asked my groomer about it and she said they do it with each grooming.
I believe the signs of full glands are when dogs rub their bums on the floor, kinda dragging them.
On a side note, one of the funniest commercials we see all the time on the tv is for a carpet cleaning company. There is this little boy who watches his dog drag his bum on the carpet and he says to his mom, "mom Toby learned a new trick"...she comes and looks for herself and sees the dog dragging his bum and she screams, "Toby!!"...OMG we laugh every time. My son loves this commercial because it's so gross. Thank goodness my dog has never done this.

I love my dog, but i don't think either of us would enjoy me poking at his bum trying to figure out where the glands are beneath all his hair. I'll leave it up to the professionals thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #19 of 34

Bijoudelanuit, my dog's insurance isn't really an insurance but it is called a wellness plan. It works just like an insurance but only for Bandfield pet hospitals. There is a one time fee to register your pet and then you pay everymonth (different rates). The plan covers different services depending on which plan you get. If I got it from the beginning, it would have saved me thousands. I think it is totally worth it--well in my case.

Sweetcravings, oh yes! I remember that commercial! That was hilarious!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:54am
post #20 of 34

I laugh my BUTT off every time I see the TOBY! cammercial.
I must admit I never thought I would see this on CC.
Talk about timing though, I just groomed my schnauzers today and I just do it while they are getting bathed. It really is not a big deal as long as you know where and how to squeeze. After raising horses then having 2 babies, this is nothing.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:36am
post #21 of 34

Glad I have a cat!

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:40am
post #22 of 34

I believe cats needs them too.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:59am
post #23 of 34

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

Oh Ry, the things you talk about some times!

Apparently cats do need them too. Well that's what I saw in the video I just watched.

I couldn't help myself. I was just too curious to let this one pass!

We have had that many cats and dogs in our family that I've lost count, but I've NEVER heard of this.

My dog would NOT be impressed if I had that done to him. He wouldn't talk to me for a week!! LOL!!!

Rylan Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 12:09pm
post #24 of 34

HAHAHA

Jen, I also watched a video and I don't think I can do something like that without gloves.

The pet nurse told me that once the anus glands are clean, they will feel more comfortable.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 3:00pm
post #25 of 34

I've been reading this thread as I do have a little dog (an affenpinscher). I am just too grossed out to do this myself and haven't had it done for her either. However, this thread comes at a good time because every once in a while Schatzie has done the butt scoot lately. We know she doesn't have worms, but I wasn't really thinking about the glands issue. I guess she's taking a trip to the vet to check it out! Gives me the heebie jeebies. I'll do a lot for my lil girl, but NOT THAT!!!!!

Here's a picture of her (it's 4 years old but it's a good pic)! When I worked as activity director at the nursing home she went to work with me every day and always, ALWAYS wore clothes. Everyone loved her. Now she's just a regular dog and I think she misses her old peeps!
LL

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:19am
post #26 of 34

I prefer to let the vet do it because it smells really really bad icon_eek.gif

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 2:35am
post #27 of 34

I have 3 Chihuahuas and the Vet takes care of it for me, usually 2 times a year. Mine are all short hair so I don't take them to the groomer, I just give them regular baths and clip their nails.

On I side note do any of you have that new Pedi-Paws thing? and does it work?

Rylan Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 5:39am
post #28 of 34

Jonahsmom, your dog is so adorable! I love the hair.

I just looked at the add for the Pedi-Paws and I want to try it!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:12am
post #29 of 34

I have wanted to try it but I am wondering if my dogs would be afraid of it.. Chihuahuas are afraid of everything. Even though they try to act like a Rottweiler! ahahah

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:43pm
post #30 of 34

"You're going to put your finger where?!!!!!"
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%