Does Anyone Make Figures Out Of Modelling Chocolate?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 5:11am by HoodiesGoodies

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:28am
post #1 of 3

Hi there! Does anyone here make figures out of modelling chocolate? I'm using Toba Garrett's recipe for white chocolate modelling chocolate (I did let it set on newsprint for a couple hours to absorb some of the fat). I've coloured it with Wilton colour and formed it into little rubber duckies. I noticed that the warmth of my hands made it really shiny and oily, is this normal? Will the shinyness go away if I put the duckie in the fridge? Do I need to use glue or does the modelling chocolate just stick to itself? Will the figures be okay on a cake out of the fridge for a few hours at the party and in the fridge up until the party? I'm putting them on top of a fondant covered cake, is that okay? I so hope someone can answer all these questions for me. Maybe I should just make them out of gumpaste/fondant because I'm really worried about how they are going to hold up. Thanks!!

2 replies
HoodiesGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoodiesGoodies Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:08am
post #2 of 3

Sence you are using white chocolate and coloring it , it will get shiny and oily feeling because it melts really easly from the warmth of you hands. I suggest using latex gloves and have an ice bath next to you to dip your hands in to keep them cold. Yes the shinyness will eventually go away after the duckies dry and hoarden. This usually takes over night. The modeling chocolate will stick to itself so no you dont need any type of glue. One thing about any chocolate that you need to remember is that it will bloom when in contact with cold moisture. So it might swet a little if in the fridge. So if you can leave it off the cake until the last minute. Chocolate figures need to air dry and they last forever. And yes putting on top of Fondant is OK. I hope this has been a help to you. Good Luck.

HoodiesGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoodiesGoodies Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 5:11am
post #3 of 3

Sence you are using white chocolate and coloring it , it will get shiny and oily feeling because it melts really easly from the warmth of you hands. I suggest using latex gloves and have an ice bath next to you to dip your hands in to keep them cold. Yes the shinyness will eventually go away after the duckies dry and hoarden. This usually takes over night. The modeling chocolate will stick to itself so no you dont need any type of glue. One thing about any chocolate that you need to remember is that it will bloom when in contact with cold moisture. So it might swet a little if in the fridge. So if you can leave it off the cake until the last minute. Chocolate figures need to air dry and they last forever. And yes putting on top of Fondant is OK. I hope this has been a help to you. Good Luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%