Fondant Cracking

Decorating By ebear Updated 16 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm by babycakes1

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #1 of 17

Hi..I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'll put my MMF on my cake. It'll seem fine then an hour or even a few hours later I'll start noticing cracks in it. It doesn't appear too dry when I'm applying it.
Can someone please help?
TIA icon_smile.gif

16 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:31am
post #2 of 17

I don't work with MMF just regular fondant. Hoping someone out there will be able to help. Bump.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:39am
post #3 of 17

Which MMF recipe do you use? And does it crack with all colors, or just deep colors?

ebear Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #4 of 17

Hi..it seems to be cracking with the darker colours. I didn't know there were different recipes for MMF. The one I use is just mini marshmallows, water and icing sugar. It also cracked when I added some candy melts. But both the fondant with the candy melts and without is cracking a little bit.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 17

The best way to keep it from cracking when it's a darker color is to add the color to the melted marshmallows instead of trying to knead it in.

sammie192 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammie192 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:14am
post #6 of 17

ebear I am having the same problem your are. my question was cracking crown . no color and its mff recipe small crack in it. I well piggy back on your question ,if its ok .

ebear Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:30am
post #7 of 17

Anyone?!?

ebear Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 12:58am
post #8 of 17

Nobody out there can help me? icon_sad.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 17

Here is my thought, I saw the words mini marshmallows. The minis have more surface area in comparison to size and therefore may not be as moist as the large ones. It's just a thought as I make MFF.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 2:59am
post #10 of 17

If you don't need it to harden, you can add corn syrup or glycerin to it. Adding these has helped me a lot. It makes the fondant stretchier and it doesn't crack anymore.

ebear Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 17

Hi..thanks for the suggestions! Now if I add corn syrup..how much? I'm guessing just a little bit?

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 8 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 17

I add 2-3 drops of corn syrup to my mmf while kneading it (corn syrup makes it more pliable).

ebear Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 2:54pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you so much for your tips! icon_smile.gif

BakedbyLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyLisa Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 17

Hi ebear....I have had this problem several times and since making these few changes it really helped me. First I add a 1/4 cup crisco with the small marshmellows before melting them. And secondly and probably most important is mix the ps as you go. I rarely ever use a whole bag of it. Once my mmf becomes harder to kneed (harder than playdough) I do not add any more sugar. Let it sit for an hour and you should be good to go. You caqn also use crisco or roll it out with instead of cornstarch which can dry it out more. Good luck!!

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:27am
post #15 of 17

What's MMF? I'm new here and trying to learn as much as I can.

ebear Posted 10 Aug 2009 , 12:40am
post #16 of 17

Hi there..Welcome! MMF is Marshmallow fondant. Its great stuff! Most of the time its easy to work with and very inexpensive to make. I'm sure somewhere in the recipe section you can find it. If not I can post it for you.. icon_smile.gif

babycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you - i will check it out sometime!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%