chikie Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 2:49am
post #1 of

Has anyone tried the recipe for the cake and frosting on the back of the Hersheys cocoa powder. If so, what did you think of it? I'm trying to find a good choco cake....Thanks

7 replies
marv Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 2:54am
post #2 of

Try Hershey's Deep Dark Choc. Cake...that's the one I liked the most! Here's the link to the site.
http://hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=4608&page=1&per=1&keyword=deep%20dark%20chocolate%20cake

Happy Baking!

marv Posted 23 Aug 2005 , 2:56am
post #3 of

I forgot to mention to replace the oil with 1 cup of mayonnaise and add a packet of choc. pudding to make it moist.

mohara Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 2:21pm
post #4 of

The Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" cake is awesome. The frosting is very tasty too...but the recipe doesn't make very much. Always make it at least a day before you are serving it...it is so much more moist. I know it is the number 1 recipe on their website.

midge Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 2:32pm
post #5 of

I love that cake and I use that recipe for my double chocolate wedding cake - but I to add the mayonaise and some chocolate syrup. I like the icing as well, except I find that it gets a little too fudge like for my decorating purposes.

mohara Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 2:40pm
post #6 of

what does the mayo do for it? Does it change the taste at all?

I normally like the cake the way it is, but upon cooling it always falls in the middle. Maybe the mayo or pudding mix would help that.

I never thought of adding pudding mix to it. That cake is soooo moist, I can't imagine it even more moist. I'll have to try it.

I very rarely frost the cake - unless it is for a party. It is soooo delicious on its own that right before I cut myself a piece, I sprinkle powered sugar on it instead and it is to die for!

midge Posted 29 Aug 2005 , 3:15pm
post #7 of

I think that the mayo adds that little bit more of moisture and there is no change in the flavor - it might even enhance the chocolate a little. I never add pudding to this one because I like the texture of it just the way it is. I agree with you about the cake having enough flavor without the icing - we will do the same in our household. My family is not big on icing since they see so much of it!

IHATEFONDANT Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 1:31am
post #8 of

Next time you make scrambled eggs add a TBs of mayo to them and then whisk and add to your pan and cook them.

The mayo seems to make them much fluffier.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%