Something To Substitute For Rich's Bettercreme??

Decorating By jennybean7985 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm by jewels710

jennybean7985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 11

i have a recipe that calls for Bettercreme and i live in MA and there is NOTHING nearby that sells anything similar... i cant order it in bulk because 1. i dont have the storage for that much, 2. i dont have the need for that much and 3. i cant afford it icon_cry.gif

what can i substitute for Bettercreme? my boyfriend actually did some googling and found whip'n'ice which idk if thats similar but i have to drive to CT to get it

any recipes or help here? icon_cry.gif

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 11

do you have a Sam's club membership??(could get a one day pass for free if you're deperate) If so, you can buy some already whipped in the bakery section. It's a big bucket for about 18 dollars or so........same buckets that the normal 28 lbs. of buttercream come in....I think it's a 5 gallon bucket??

jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 11

the closest sams club is 2 hours away icon_cry.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 11

[/i]Tell us how it is used in the recipe, then it will be easier to decide a subsitute. My first guess would be heavy whipping cream though..

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 11

I can't get Bettercreme where I live, but could you substitute fresh whipped cream??

prcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prcakemom Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 11

If you have a Smart and Final by you, there is an icing that is very similar called "Pastry Pride Premier".

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

Check your small independent cake/baking supply stores. I have found that many of them here have a small fridge/freezer that they sell small quantites from.
That is how I came to find it here.
Good Luck!

NYmomma5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NYmomma5 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 11

Do you have a Wegmans nearby? I was walking by the frozen foods/ice cream section and I saw a small container of Rich's there!

jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 11

there is no smart and final or wegmens nearby.. i live in a suburb outside of Boston MA so theres not a whole lot of cake suppliers near me that i can locate

heres the recipe:

"Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling - HeatherC
2 cups Bettercreme
1 small pkg. White Chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Whip 2 cups liquid Bettercreme with small pkg. pudding until thick. Refrigerate.
Cream butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add water and vanilla. Gradually add flour. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cake layer and cover with Bettercreme mixture."

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 11

Wow.. that looks like a really good filling~! I see no problem substituting heavy whipping cream for the bettercream. I would serve it soon after decorating, or refrigerate until ready to serve, because of the cream. Let us know how it comes out..

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 11

Are you frosting the whole cake with the Bettercream mixed with pudding?
If so, they sell Chocolate Bettercream where I live for the same price, no need to buy the additional pudding.

Sounds yummy though.

Also, I think you could sub Heavy whipping cream too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%