Something To Substitute For Rich's Bettercreme??

Decorating By jennybean7985 Updated 12 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm by jewels710

jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #1 of 11

i have a recipe that calls for Bettercreme and i live in MA and there is NOTHING nearby that sells anything similar... i cant order it in bulk because 1. i dont have the storage for that much, 2. i dont have the need for that much and 3. i cant afford it icon_cry.gif

what can i substitute for Bettercreme? my boyfriend actually did some googling and found whip'n'ice which idk if thats similar but i have to drive to CT to get it

any recipes or help here? icon_cry.gif

10 replies
KHalstead Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 11

do you have a Sam's club membership??(could get a one day pass for free if you're deperate) If so, you can buy some already whipped in the bakery section. It's a big bucket for about 18 dollars or so........same buckets that the normal 28 lbs. of buttercream come in....I think it's a 5 gallon bucket??

jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #3 of 11

the closest sams club is 2 hours away icon_cry.gif

CakesByLJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 11

[/i]Tell us how it is used in the recipe, then it will be easier to decide a subsitute. My first guess would be heavy whipping cream though..

susanscakecreations Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 11

I can't get Bettercreme where I live, but could you substitute fresh whipped cream??

prcakemom Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 11

If you have a Smart and Final by you, there is an icing that is very similar called "Pastry Pride Premier".

jewels710 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 11

Check your small independent cake/baking supply stores. I have found that many of them here have a small fridge/freezer that they sell small quantites from.
That is how I came to find it here.
Good Luck!

NYmomma5 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 11

Do you have a Wegmans nearby? I was walking by the frozen foods/ice cream section and I saw a small container of Rich's there!

jennybean7985 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #9 of 11

there is no smart and final or wegmens nearby.. i live in a suburb outside of Boston MA so theres not a whole lot of cake suppliers near me that i can locate

heres the recipe:

"Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Filling - HeatherC
2 cups Bettercreme
1 small pkg. White Chocolate pudding mix
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips

Whip 2 cups liquid Bettercreme with small pkg. pudding until thick. Refrigerate.
Cream butter and sugars on medium speed for 3 minutes. Add water and vanilla. Gradually add flour. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cake layer and cover with Bettercreme mixture."

CakesByLJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #10 of 11

Wow.. that looks like a really good filling~! I see no problem substituting heavy whipping cream for the bettercream. I would serve it soon after decorating, or refrigerate until ready to serve, because of the cream. Let us know how it comes out..

jewels710 Posted 12 Aug 2009 , 4:43pm
post #11 of 11

Are you frosting the whole cake with the Bettercream mixed with pudding?
If so, they sell Chocolate Bettercream where I live for the same price, no need to buy the additional pudding.

Sounds yummy though.

Also, I think you could sub Heavy whipping cream too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%