Opinions On Whether To Make Flowers Please

Decorating By Lenette Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 1:37am by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 9

There is a display cake I want to do for upcoming events. It has about 140 sugar flowers. I cannot afford to order them so I would have to make them or get small silks.

On the one hand, it will take a lot of time to make and with transporting to a couple of shows there is likely be damage. On the other hand, being able to say I made the flowers may be impressive to some of the people at this event.

I can make them but part of me doesn't want to and is not sure it is worth the extra effort and time. Can anyone weigh in and help me make a decision?

The first event is 2 weeks away so if I'm gonna make them I need to get crackin'!

Thanks!

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 9

What kind of flowers are they? That would make a difference to me, 140 callas are a heck of a lot faster than 140 wired orchids.

Lenette Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry, they are roses... and I have limited experience so I am not quick by any means.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 9

I'd go ahead and make them, but it's going to take you a while if you haven't done them before. Use a quick rose method and start NOW, so that you'll have time to let them dry in between steps. You should be able to do the cones and the first layers all in one shot over a couple of days(good tv-watching activity for the evenings), then do the outer layers in batches over 2 or 3 days. You'll also need to have somewhere for them to dry, so you'll probably need to do 20-30 at a time as you get to the outer layers and let them set up, unless you have a lot of room to spread them out. If you let them dry in between stages they're easier to handle if you're a beginner.

Lenette Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 9

Thank you CostumeCzar!

Question for you, what is the quick rose method? Is that with the pink 5 petal cutters?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:01am
post #6 of 9

It's much quicker with the see-through pink cutter than the Wilton ones...not sure which ones you meant. But the Jem cutters make the separations between petals, and with the wilton ones you have to cut the separations.

Also, you could make bigger roses and maybe not need as many, depending on the cake.

Lenette Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #7 of 9

I do have the pink see thru ones. I used them the one other time I made fondant roses.

This particular cake has to have smaller roses so I don't think I can take any shortcuts on this one. I like the idea though! icon_wink.gif

Okay, I guess I best dive in tomorrow!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #8 of 9

I just thought of it, if you use gumpaste it goes a lot faster than it does with fondant. Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe is great and it dries faster than fondant.

Lenette Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:37am
post #9 of 9

Gum paste scares me...Is that completely stupid or what? icon_redface.gif

After looking at so many amazing, life-like flowers I know mine won't look as nice. I will try it though, I even have Tylose here so I have everything.

Worse case scenario I have to buy silks, right? icon_rolleyes.gif

Wish me luck? And who can I PM when I panic??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%