Help! I Don't Know What To Do!

Business By bakessweetmemories Updated 1 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm by bakessweetmemories

bakessweetmemories Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 12

Hello Everyone:

I would appreciate advise on regarding the start of a possible new venture. A friend of mine and her mother just rave about my cakes. The mother would like me to make a cake that she can cut up in small pieces for the people at her work to try and to supply her with either cards or flyers. She feels I probably would get orders. (Or so she hopes.) As much as I would like to do this, I am a little nervous because I would be operating without any licsensing (sp?) of any kind. If I do this, should I list the ingredients in case of any allergies? What are your thoughts?

thumbs_up.gifthumbsdown.gif

11 replies
umgrzfn Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 12

My thoughts are....don't bring up the topic. Do what you feel is right for you!

jardot22 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 12

I agree with umgrzfn - you're opening up a can of worms with this topic. Go with your gut.

ccr03 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 12

Ditto - if and when you decide to have a legit business, it's going to be YOURS not anyone else's. It's crazy to have an outside person to tell you how to run things.

If you don't want to do it, be straightforward and tell her since you are not legal the answer would be a no, not now.

leah_s Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 12

1. Get legal
2. start your own business
3. see #1

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 12

I mean, why do other people push cakers to open businesses just because they like our stuff or whatever. I mean I'm sure your friends just want to help and are being sweet (in thier minds) but it's not up to someone else to launch a business for you especially if you're not ready. And no license means you're not ready.

No, no listen, dude, I was talking to a fellow caker a person yesterday and he was not getting why I don't have a shop. I have to arm wrestle people constantly ~~being legal means little to lots of people even fellow cakers.

"Oh but you can do it from your home"-- <sigh>

costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 12

I'll be the mother hen here:"If they were really your friends they wouldn't ask you to do something that you're not comfortable with!" Or something illegal that she apparently wants to take a cut of. (From what you're describing it sounds like she'd want to take a "finder's fee" cut from your profits, which would basically mean that she's letting you take the risk of getting caught doing something illegal without any risk to herself.)

ceshell Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 12

If I had a dollar for all of the friends who have told me I should open up a cake business after eating or seeing one of my cakes, I'd have enough money to actually do it! My SIL even bought me a book "How to start your own cake business." I thought it was a sweet gesture, but but it's not legal in California so starting small is not an option, and I agree, people aren't thinking about what it would take to Start A Business. Just because you are good at and enjoy something doesn't mean it SHOULD become your job...sometimes that can take the fun right out of it LOL. The point being, even if you COULD become legal (perhaps you can, you don't say in your post), does that still mean you WANT to run a business? Occasionally baking for family/friends/coworkers is very different from taking and fulfilling CUSTOMER orders.

I see that you haven't posted a lot but you've been around CC since last year- you may or may not have seen the zillions of posts about running an unlicensed cake business out of your home. I recommend doing a forum search to read more on the subject and determine if it's a type of venture you are prepared to get into. Operating without a business license is much more dodgy when you are selling edible products rather than...say...handmade jewelry, etc. And if getting legal is an option, you should do all the research it takes before you decide if you want to start a home-based business.

Personally, I would say just appreciate and be flattered by peoples' excitement about your passion for making cakes. It's quite a compliment when people like your stuff so much that they feel you could do it for money. thumbs_up.gif

bakessweetmemories Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:14am
post #9 of 12

Thanks for all the good advise. Your points are well taken. I do want to clarify, however, my friends mother was trying to do me a favor because she knows how much I want to get into the bakery business. She was just trying to prematurely promote a new venture for me without truely acting as an agent and wanting a percentage.

I think I will just take this one step at a time and not jeopardize a good thing. It will come in time.

Thanks again, to all.

playingwithsugar Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 4:37am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

If I had a dollar for all of the friends who have told me I should open up a cake business after eating or seeing one of my cakes, I'd have enough money to actually do it!

Ditto!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cheatize Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 5:53am
post #11 of 12

Aside from all the legalities of it, the first thing that came to my mind was the word, "dry." I tasted a piece of cake today that our bank was giving out for Customer Appreciation Day. Seriously dry. I'm guessing it's because it had been sliced and plated hours before. What if that happens and potential clients are turned off by it?

bakessweetmemories Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 12

Your absolutely right, cheatize. However, she was going to put the cake in the fridge until lunch time. Apparently, the company closes business during the lunch hour and everyone eats together. She was going to slice the cake at that time. The cake I was going to make is a cannoli cake. I make the cheese for the filling myself.

Again, points well taken. I apppreciate all of the comments. They have really made me take a second look at this situation. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%