Searching For The Recipe For Thick Sugar Cookies !

Baking By vlk Updated 4 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm by tatorchip

vlk Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 8

Wanted to know if anyone has a recipe for a THICK sugar cookie.

I recently had one of these FABULOUS sugar cookies, very thick (3/4 or more) almond flavor, almost sourdough (tea cookie) in texture and softness. I have searched "far and wide", gone thru 10 pds of sugar to try to come up with the recipe - with no luck. icon_cry.gif

If anyone could help me ??

7 replies
Bellatheball Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #2 of 8

More important that the recipe is how you work with the dough. Cold butter won't spread as fast. If you don't want them to spread and lose their shape, leave out any baking powder or sugar and chill your cut out shapes before baking. I roll mine to about 3/8 or 1/2 inch. Also, be careful not to overmix. Beat each step until everything is incoporated and then stop the mixer.

sjmoral Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 4:59am
post #3 of 8

I use the NO FAIL SUGAR COOKIES recipe found here in CC and you can make these as thick as you want. I make the dough and roll it right away between 2 sheets of wax or parchment paper, cover with plastic and refrigerate until firm (I make mine at night and bake the next day). I use almond extract instead of vanilla or 1 tsp of vanilla and 1 tsp almond.

RachieRach Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with everyone else. I use the basic sugar cookie recipe (with vanilla) and softened butter but I let my dough get really firm by putting in the fridge or freezer for a few hours. Then I roll it out thick. Because of the thickness of the dough, it remains soft after baking.

auntbeesbaking Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 8

Hi Vicki,

I have submitted a recipe for Cut-Out Sugar Cookies. It is a recipe for THICK sugar cookies. I like it so much that I don't need frosting! It does puff up a little but it's soft and yet retains the shape! Make sure you do add enough flour to make the dough stiff. Someone passed this on to me and the first time I made it I only put the minimum amount in and then I couldn't even roll it out. (I have a lot more confidence now! icon_wink.gif )

I hope you try it and like it!

Good Luck!

tatorchip Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 8

Great tips icon_smile.gif

CookieD-oh Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 8

I use this recipe and it keeps its shape really well, even when rolled very thick:

tatorchip Posted 4 Aug 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 8

thanks cookieD-oh will try and love the recipe format choice I might become a member icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%