Basic Cake Assembly Sos

Decorating By thebakingmedic Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 12:12am by tastyart

thebakingmedic Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 11

Hi there,

I'm a beginner baker/cake maker and one of the issues I've had in the past with my cakes involves stacking the layers on top of each other.

They start to slide and I get a messy looking, lopsided cake. I've resorted to inserting toothpicks in between the layers to keep the cake together. How ever, it's embarassing, not to mention a bit hazardous to serve a cake riddled with tooth picks.

So, any tips on getting the layers of a cake not to slide when there is icing in between them? Do I have to use thicker icing? Chill the cake?

All suggestions welcome! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
jardot22 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 11

You should try putting a "dam" of stiffened buttercream icing between the layers, (pipe it in a circle around the outer edge of the cake), then after you fill the cake and put your next layer on, place a cake circle on top and push down to help the cake settle. The dam will help keep your filling in the middle so the layers don't shift, and so you don't end up with bulges on the sides of your cake. Hope this helps you out!

thebakingmedic Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks, I'll definitely try that next time!

However, I'm not familiar with the term "cake circle". Could you please explain it to me?

jardot22 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 11

By cake circle I'm referring to the cardboard rounds that are used to separate tiers - the ones you can find at Walmart or Hobby Lobby / Michaels in packs of like 6. They come in all different sizes 6 inches up to 16 inches.

tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 11

The dam of stiffened BC is an excelent suggestion. Another thing that comes to my mind is to ask if you are leveling the layers well. If they are level and stacked directly on top of each other, gravity should not pull them sideways. Just a thought.

thebakingmedic Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 11

I do have to confess that I have not been leveling my cakes. Two reasons: firstly, I don't own really deep pans, so it feels like, if i level my cake I'll be cutting off most of the cake! And the finished product would be really thin with a lot of waste.

Secondly, it seems like a tricky process to cut the cakes level. I have a hard enough time trying to levelly cut my cakes in half. Perhaps you know of a better way to do this?

Thanks so much for the help!

tastyart Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 11

I have an inexpensive wilton leveler. I think it was less than $5 at wally world. It is a life saver because I can't cut straight either!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with Tastyart, the cheap Wilton leveler is the way to go. I've owned two. The first one lasted 10 years, then the wire broke and I got another one. Three dollars for something that useful that lasts so long is a good deal icon_biggrin.gif

Also, try baking your cakes on 325 with a flower nail in the center, even the smaller cakes. It will help them bake more level and you won't have as much waste...although it's not really waste, you can save the cake trimmings in the freezer until you have enough and make cake truffles.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 11

Also, as soon as they come out of the oven, lay a clean fuzzless tea towel over the top and gently press down a bit with the palm of your hand, rotate the pan around, press press press, until you have a flat surface.

tastyart Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #11 of 11

I also use the flower nail in the pan. Works like a charm!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%