Cake Dowels ?

Decorating By catin Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm by Rylan

catin Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering what are the best cake dowels to use . I am making two 2 tiered topsy turvy cakes for Sunday. I was wanting to use skewers to dowel them but not sure if that will be sturdy enough for them .

One other question , just to clear that I get everything right . Can i crumb coat and cover them in fondant tonight (thursday ) are they gonna fine for Sunday ?

Thanks again ... everthing is greatly greatly appreciated ...

4 replies
catin Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 5

bump !! icon_biggrin.gif

catin Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 5

bump !! icon_biggrin.gif

jardot22 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 5

I would recommend that you do not use skewers as dowels - I wouldn't trust their stability. You should use bubble tea straws, regular dowels from Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Walmart, or you could even use drinking straws if you can't find bubble straws or dowels.

I would wait to crumb coat and cover your cake in fondant. For a cake due on Sunday, I crumb coat Friday evening, let sit overnight, then cover in fondant and decorate on Saturday. You could even freeze your cake at this point if you wanted to wait until tomorrow to start decorating.

Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 5

I will never want to use skewers as dowels. Just like mentioned above, try bubble tea straws. I like the Wilton wooden dowels in combination with the straws I just mentioned.

I think Thursday is too early--unless you are going to have days of decoration. I'd suggest Doing it on Friday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%