How Do I Make Straight Stripes On A Round Cake?

Decorating By cserr4 Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 3:41am by SugaredUp

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a round cake with fondant stripes and can't seem to get the stripes to go on straight. They end up getting slanted. Help! This cake is for Saturday.

Thanks!

10 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 11

Are you wrapping the stripes around the cake, or applying them top to bottom?

cserr4 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 11

I am doing it top to bottom. I already did my botton 12 inch faux layer. It looks ok but i would still like them to be straighter for my next layer. Also do you know if I can refrigerate regular and chocolate fondant?

Thanks

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 11

You hold the stripe straight up and down, and apply it to the bottom of the tier first, and pull it up straight, gently sticking it to the cake and pull straight up over the top of the tier. Cut it off where you need to.

cserr4 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:24pm
post #5 of 11

Do I have to start tapering when I put it over the top of the cake? I tried just putting it straight up and down and it started getting crooked. have no idea why.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 11

You should have it all pressed down by the time you get to the top, that way, whatever little folds or crease happen due to the curve of the cake edge happen, it won't affect the stripe on the side of the cake. This is best done on a well chilled cake, by the way, so you aren't pushing in on the fondant while smoothing your stripe down.

I don't know how else to explain it, I suppose it is a very visual thing to explain.

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 11

If you want to get them perfectly straight, you could always mark the cake where the stripes should go beforehand with a knife, then cover up the marks with your fondant stripes. This might also help you space them evenly.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 11

There was another thread a while back about this, with a tutorial link.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6087016-.html#6087016
I hope this is what you need icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 11

Ah, Iwas not even thinking about stripes right against each other, I was thinking about stripes with spaces in between them. My bad! That tutorial is awesome!

cserr4 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #10 of 11

sorry- guess i didn't say stripes right next to each other. that tutorial is great! Do I have to taper both sides of the stripe? Also can anyone tell me if my cake will be ok if I refrigerate it with chocolate fondant? I'm worried about condensation when I take it out.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:41am
post #11 of 11

You know they make some dessicant (sp?) stuff now, I think Geraldine's sells it. You place it on or near the cake and it prevents the condensation. You could check into ordering some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%