Red Icing

Decorating By kjskid Updated 31 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm by BJ

kjskid Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 6

One of my friends wants a Lightening McQueen cake for her son's birthday. How do I get that red icing and not pink? How much of which red should I use?
Thanks!

5 replies
SouthernSugar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:28am
post #2 of 6

I love Americolor Super Red, I color my buttercream a little bit lighter than I want it and let it sit for a few hours to darken up. It doesn't take near as much as other red coloring and it doesn't leave that awful aftertaste.

BJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 1:35pm
post #3 of 6

Red - always start by coloring your icing pink and make it as pink as you can get it - THEN, start adding the red. A true red never looks red until it sits for a while. It always looks more orangey than red. When you think you've got it as red as you can - Put a little shmear of it on something and let it sit for 20 minutes to see the true color. Beleive me - it WILL darken alot once it has time to sit. People always get frustrated trying to get a true red because they see their icing only coming up to a redish orangey color and think - "I'll never get red - I've already added way too much red and it still looks orange to me". Don't give up. the true color comes out darker than the color you see in the mixing bowl. It just needs time... thumbs_up.gif

txnonnie Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 6

BJ -Red - always start by coloring your icing pink and make it as pink as you can get it - THEN, start adding the red

Neat idea. Never thought of using the pink first. Would certainly cut down on the thinning of your icing.

BJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 6

cuts down on that crappy taste too (sorry about the description - haha)

BJ Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #6 of 6

cuts down on that crappy taste too from using all that red coloring (sorry about the description - haha)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%