Frosting Dough (Awsome)

Baking By kwineinger Updated 25 May 2010 , 7:54pm by 7yyrt

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:51am
post #31 of 51

I wonder wich kind of can icing.. does the whipped one works too. Im not much a fan of them either..
Edna icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:01pm
post #32 of 51

When I make it with homemade, it has a clay-like consistency. It doesn't dry hard, but stays like... marshmallow fudge.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:44pm
post #33 of 51

I was decorating a cake this morning, so I tried this with my leftover buttercream. I kneaded enough PS into it to make a dough, rolled it out and cut it into shapes.

It worked really well. The only thing I found wrong with it was that it was really, really sweet!! I am a sweet lover, but it was even too much for me. I guess I might use it for tiny decorations on a cookie or cake, but nothing more than that. JMHO icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:48pm
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I was decorating a cake this morning, so I tried this with my leftover buttercream. I kneaded enough PS into it to make a dough, rolled it out and cut it into shapes.

It worked really well. The only thing I found wrong with it was that it was really, really sweet!! I am a sweet lover, but it was even too much for me. I guess I might use it for tiny decorations on a cookie or cake, but nothing more than that. JMHO icon_wink.gif

I use a touch of popcorn salt in my buttercream to cut the sweetness -- why don't you try that and see if it helps some.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 3:58pm
post #35 of 51

Ok don't be too hard on me but every once in awhile I bake a BC devils food cake straight from the box and ice it with canned BC chocolate fudge icing, it's what I was raised on and it reminds me of home icon_redface.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 9:32pm
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

Ok don't be too hard on me but every once in awhile I bake a BC devils food cake straight from the box and ice it with canned BC chocolate fudge icing, it's what I was raised on and it reminds me of home icon_redface.gif

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Say it isn't so!!! icon_razz.gificon_lol.gif

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 14 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm
post #37 of 51

Are you guys talking about rolled bc?

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:06am
post #38 of 51

yup, RBC. You mix more powdered sugar to get a dough.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:07am
post #39 of 51

interesting, you learn something every day!

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:23am
post #40 of 51

Canned frosting gives me the creeps. I know this is strange, but I can taste something like an after taste of bug spray.

Does anyone ice their cakes anymore, or is this pretty much a fondant site? Just wondering.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 12:55am
post #41 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCathcart

Canned frosting gives me the creeps. I know this is strange, but I can taste something like an after taste of bug spray.

Canned frosting is possible the nastiest substance on earth...I'll be bold and say that it's even WORSE THAN WILTON FONDANT!!!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:03am
post #42 of 51
Quote:

Does anyone ice their cakes anymore, or is this pretty much a fondant site? Just wondering.

Lots of us still use buttercream! You should type that into the "search" box and see what comes up.

Long live buttercream!!!! king.gif

7yyrt Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:18am
post #43 of 51

I use fondant from time to time, MissCathcart, but my folks like all butter buttercream.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 2:26am
post #44 of 51
Quote:

Most of the cakes I do are buttercream. I've done a couple in fondant, but those are pretty much exclusively carved cakes at this point. Some fondant accents on buttercream, too, but even with the fondant, I iced them under the fondant, too!

MissCathcart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCathcart Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 1:28pm
post #45 of 51

I'm glad to hear that. It's just that I've noticed a lot of the, Most Saved Photos Today, seem to fondant. The cake shows on TV feature 3D cakes, and I've yet to see Duff do any serious piping. I'd really be thrilled to see Toba Garrett get her own show.

bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Aug 2009 , 4:31pm
post #46 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

Canned frosting is possible the nastiest substance on earth...I'll be bold and say that it's even WORSE THAN WILTON FONDANT!!!

icon_eek.gif Oooooooohhh!! That IS nasty! icon_confused.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:47pm
post #47 of 51

Sounds interesting, I will have to try it. and I don't know who said that MMF intimidated them, but it is a little work, but very easy. and definitely cheaper than buying fondant. All you got to do is buy two bags of miniature marshmallows and 1-2lb. bag of powdered sugar and it is work. I make it by hand as my mixer wouldn't stand up to it, but it didn't take me more than 15 min. to make it once the marshmallows melted. It tastes good too.

jules5000 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:56pm
post #48 of 51

I went to that page and printed it off. THat is a cute cake idea that they have the recipe with. Thanks for sharing. Will try this soon.

fergiesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fergiesgirl Posted 20 Aug 2009 , 11:50pm
post #49 of 51

I just tried this since I had some leftover cookies that I did not know what to do with. The recipe was extremely quick and simple! I just threw it in my KA mixer. It is WAY less work than fondant. However, like someone mentioned, it is VERY sweet, so I rolled it as thin as possible. My husband really liked it though. Also, it cannot be stacked it used on cookies. It is soft and pliable.

jules5000 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 3:40am
post #50 of 51

WHat can not be stacked? The cookies after frosting them with the rolled frosting? I am not sure what you were saying couldn't be stacked? would this recipe work with any buttercream?

7yyrt Posted 25 May 2010 , 7:54pm
post #51 of 51

I have forgotten who wanted it; sorry about that, I hope you'll see it now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%