kwineinger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of

Ladies I found a recipe and after trying it today I AM SOLD ON IT! Just wanted to share it with you, is called Frosting Dough:

http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Classroom-Chalkboard-Cake-Recipe
(Scroll down to bottom of page for recipe.)

Rolled this out just like mmf and it worked wonderful. After baking my sugar cookies, I rolled this out an placed on cookie when at room temp. Looks just like mmf and taste like icing. The kids loved it!

50 replies
gizzmo Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #2 of

that sounds so yummy! i wonder if it would work w/other flavored iciings? hmmm? i ve always been intimidated by mmf and this sounds so very easy! have you tried to decorate them like mmf covered cookies? thanks so much for sharing this i cant wait to try these! thumbs_up.gif

Mensch Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of

Eeeuuww. icon_surprised.gif

kwineinger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #4 of

It was so easy and quick to make, you can even stack the cookies afterwards, also I tried making some decoration out of this stuff, still waiting to see how they are after the dry some!

jonahsmom Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:10pm
post #5 of

I saw this in a magazine, too. I don't remember which one. Sounds weird, but not too weird to try. I'll probably check it out one of these days.

kwineinger Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of

I found this in a magazine this month.

traceyjade Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 2:05am
post #7 of

I wonder if you can do this with homemade frosting for a much better taste. I guess just add more powdered sugar. I will definately have to test this out. Thanks for sharing thumbs_up.gif What magazine was it in?

monizcel Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:05am
post #8 of

Going to try it this morning. I will report back.

superstar Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:38am
post #9 of

It sounds great. I would love to know if it will work with home made frosting.

JaimeAnn Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:44am

This was in the most recent (September 1) issue of Woman's Day.

lchristi27 Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 10:52am

Very interesting. If anyone tries it without using the canned frosting let us know.

7yyrt Posted 31 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm

I've made both chocolate and peanut butter frosting dough, but not vanilla. I use it to make little details.

Alagoas Posted 1 Aug 2009 , 11:57pm

this sounds good! icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 6:15am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Eeeuuww. icon_surprised.gif

I'm with you -- I don't like canned frosting. icon_sad.gif

This is just a "store-bought" version of Rolled Buttercream.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-0-Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant-Alternative.html

kwineinger Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 12:01pm

Thanks for the post, I will try it with buttercream

7yyrt Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 1:40pm

oops, I meant with homemade, not canned. icon_redface.gif
I think the peanut butter or syrup add a little elasticity to it.

cylstrial Posted 2 Aug 2009 , 10:09pm

Interesting. I'm not big on canned frosting...but I guess it's worth a try.

calicopurr Posted 3 Aug 2009 , 4:15am

Interested in thread! Can't wait to hear your results.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 3:59pm

Huh! I know there are cake decorators who take their own frosting and add a lot of powdered sugar to it to make a "dough-like" consistency for various uses (Sugarshack is one) but I've never heard of this on a cookie application. How would you use it on a cookie?

Lenette Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:05pm

Sounds like it would be a good idea, especially if it can be done with homemade bc. Can't wait to hear some of your results. It will be a while before I have time to play with it.

icon_smile.gif

SaraClassic Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:09pm

Here is the recipe off the link for just that part:

Frosting Dough:Stir 1⁄2 cup canned vanilla or white frosting and 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners sugar in medium bowl; knead until a smooth dough forms. Wrap airtight in plastic wrap until ready to use. Store at room temperature. Makes 1 cup.

I think it sounds basically like RBC - a thick pliable BC. I love RBC, if anyone uses this and has tried RBC too let me know how different the two are.

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 4:10pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraClassic

Frosting Dough:Stir 1⁄2 cup canned vanilla or white frosting and 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners sugar in medium bowl; knead until a smooth dough forms. Wrap airtight in plastic wrap until ready to use. Store at room temperature. Makes 1 cup.

I think it sounds basically like RBC - a thick pliable BC. I love RBC, if anyone uses this and has tried RBC too let me know how different the two are.

That was my question!! icon_biggrin.gif Is this the same as rolled buttercream? If not, what's the difference?

alvarezmom Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 5:50pm

Oh yes some one try it out and report back! It sounds so good!

SaraClassic Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 6:21pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

That was my question!! icon_biggrin.gif Is this the same as rolled buttercream? If not, what's the difference?

I think its pretty similar, RBC has glycerin ( corn syrup ) for stretch and texture, but I figure sounded the same. ??

bobwonderbuns Posted 6 Aug 2009 , 8:44pm
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I think its pretty similar, RBC has glycerin ( corn syrup ) for stretch and texture, but I figure sounded the same. ??

Beats me -- I've never used rolled buttercream before so I know nothing about it. Hence the question! icon_lol.gif

Lisa1050 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:14pm

Hi everyone, I just signed up for this site and this is my very first post. Please tell me what mmf sugar cookie frosting is. Thanks

calicopurr Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:19pm

marshmellow fondant. it's yummy.

Lisa1050 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:28pm

Thanks, I'll try it!

dandelion56602 Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 10:51pm

Yes you can do it w/ your own buttercream, I do. Just add a lot of PS. Yes, RBC will work, MMF will too. I prefer my own, not store bought. I still can't get over the fact that some people like canned frosting over homemade!

cakeflake80 Posted 13 Aug 2009 , 5:15am

Wow....I REALLY want to try this! My only concern is how hard it will dry. I love glace and royal icing because they dry so hard. Were yours hard enough to stack and or package (like individually)??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%