Red Velvet Cake With Buttercream???

Decorating By alwaysbridal Updated 30 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm by IsaSW

alwaysbridal Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a ridiculous cake for my best friend and she wants red velvet but I'm worried the cream cheese frosting will be too heavy to decorate with. Since red velvet IS just choc. cake buttercream should taste ok, right? or should I do a cream cheese filling and decorate with buttercream I've never tried those combos? icon_confused.gif

8 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 9

I recently made one for a friend that was alternating layers of dark chocolate fudge and red velvet and I used a cream cheese butter cream and it was AMAZING. There are recipes on the site for it.

indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 9

I want to know who makes the Food Rules that dictate what you can and can't do to a cake, a bagel or a sandwich. icon_confused.gif (I knew one guy who just SWORE the "Rule" was "ketchup on a hamburger and mustard on a hot dog". He had a big ka-niption fit when he saw someone put ketchup on a hot dog!)

I make RV with regular BC all the time.

cindy1176 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I want to know who makes the Food Rules that dictate what you can and can't do to a cake, a bagel or a sandwich. icon_confused.gif (I knew one guy who just SWORE the "Rule" was "ketchup on a hamburger and mustard on a hot dog". He had a big ka-niption fit when he saw someone put ketchup on a hot dog!)

I make RV with regular BC all the time.

LOL! I love this comment! I just did a Red Velvet w/indydebi's bc...it was sooo yummy looking, and the client loved it!

Mikel79 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 9

I have made a Red Velvet with BC icing before. It tasted GREAT!!! Even though it is Red Velvet, don't worry about having to stick with the traditional cream cheese icing.

HTH =)

alwaysbridal Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks that makes me feel better. Just when you think you have flavor combos figured out and you are happy to share the party goin on in your mouth, your get slapped down with "well shouldnt you make it with cream cheese frosting" icon_razz.gif

cindy1176 Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysbridal

Thanks that makes me feel better. Just when you think you have flavor combos figured out and you are happy to share the party goin on in your mouth, your get slapped down with "well shouldnt you make it with cream cheese frosting" icon_razz.gif

LOL!!! I love the "party goin on in your mouth" bit...

Rylan Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 9

Of course you can. If you like a good recipe of cream cheese, try the cream cheese buttercream from designmeacake.com

good luck

IsaSW Posted 30 Jul 2009 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 9

I made it once, red velvet with a white chocolate cream cheese frosting, delicious. Don't have the recipe with me now, but if you are interested, let me know and I'll share it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%